Building A Loom

Marb

Right, so I need to build a Loom for my FZR 400 trackbike, the only loom's I've built are heavy duty copies of OEM Looms. Never done one that wasn't OEM, or built for wieght.

So a couple of questions.

1. Yamaha have a fuel pump relay. Do I really need this or can I just hook my fuel pump up to a switched 12V?

2. What is the thinnest guage I can get away with? It's gonna be a full loom for the time being, so it'll have a stator and charge, and a starter with relay. So, what thicknesses can I use for the various parts?

3. I'm not running an ignition switch, just an on/off toggel. Do i need this to switch a relay or just have it directly switch everything?

4. Anyone know of a half decent program that I can draw a loom in?

That's it for now, probably come up with a shit load more once I start building.

I'd be running a relay for the ignition, it's not the voltage that will be the problem it's the current being drawn by all the other components, same for the fuel pump, you'd be surprised how much they draw.

400 greybike document library has a wiring diagram for the 3TJ - that's a good place to start. It should be A3 size and colour so you print it out that size ... then trace over it using tracing paper.

Archived