Honda Hiss Ignition Keys & Barrels.

Bungle

I have a fireblade with a worn ignition & wonder if it is possible to replace the barrel so the key still works with the hiss system?

I know Honda ignition systems are a pain so thought I would ask here 1st,

Also can you get a spare key from Honda or is that a no unless you buy the whole ignition/wiring etc. In which case I wouldn't bother.

Thanks.

The HISS ring on the barrel is tied to the ECU, If you can get the ring off the old barrel and put it on the new barrel you should be OK.

You can get expensive keys from Honda that need to be coded.

The HISS ring on the barrel is tied to the ECU, If you can get the ring off the old barrel and put it on the new barrel you should be OK.

You can get expensive keys from Honda that need to be coded.

Another option, but you would still need the new key coded to match the ECU. The HISS ring and barrel are 2 separate parts, they are bolted to the top yoke with security bolts and need to be drilled out to be removed if I remember correctly.

Sorry I just re read the OP.

I see the barrel is worn. Ok so you need a new barrel. Yes they are removable, will most likely come with a lock set (keys, barrel and fuel cap) if you buy new. But it will need coding to match the bike.

You won't be able to change the barrel and keep the original keys.

Cheers guys, I will have a look about on the bay.

Its only a cheapo bike & looking to sell it very soon so I did not want to spend a bomb on bits.

As above, if you can separate the hiss ring from the barrel then you should be good to go.

The keys aren't that expensive and I've programmed keys for a VFR VTEC and a CBR954 before, I wouldn't be surprised if other models could be programmed too.

If you change the barrel only then the original transponder chips will still work, you should be able to prize these out of the old key and fit them in the new ones.

There's a company called motomatrix I used on a mates yamaha, they'll supply keys and the barrel and code it to your hiss ring (another name, incidentally, for a snakes bum). They supplied new keys & barrel (the bike'd been attemptedly nicked) at a very reasonable rate. He needed a new ring & the whole lot programming to the ecu so it all cost about £300, but it was a shit load cheaper than dealing with yamaha themselves. Hopefully they can do hondas too. Give them a ring, the guy I spoke to couldn't have been more helpful and the ecu etc was only away for 4 or 5 days.

Archived