Lathe Advice.

mattbloke

Hi all, im thinking of purchasing a lathe primarily for making spacers as and when I need them. Dosnt need to be commercial standard, but big enough for wheel spacers/spindles/steering stems.

I know there is a choice between buying old and accurate or new and cheap. Help!

Buy the biggest you can afford and store, it gets a little frustrating when you can't quite squeeze in the bit your machining, buy lots of tools, you can never have enough tools and if possible buy a recognised name, if you are going to buy a hobby sized lathe go buy a copy of model engineers workshop, there's always ads in there from various companies selling them.

Thanks for the reply :-) I get the above already, what im looking for is advice on actual models/type of lathe. As its only going to be used infrequently ideally I don't want to be spending more than a 4-500 quid which rules out most Boxford/myford type lathes..

The problem you've got is that all the small hobby type things go for silly money, you're better off with a 3 phase larger machine that most home users are scared of.

For £1k you'd get a decent 3 phase machine that'll always do more than you want and you'll not be left wishing you'd got something else.

Don't rule out lathes like the Myford ML10. They are still great little things and go for much less than the 7 series.

STOP PRESS!!!!!

Just looked on ebay and this is up for grabs.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATLAS-LATHE-/191110817791?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item2c7f17a7ff

I had one before I got my ML7 and it is a cracking tool with a surprisingly large capacity. It is an excellent piece of kit for that money.

Edited to add.....

Don't be put of by the vintage looks either. After a bit of careful setting up, I could get down to a repeatable accuracy of 0.0002" on mine over a 10" test turning.

Don't rule out lathes like the Myford ML10. They are still great little things and go for much less than the 7 series.

STOP PRESS!!!!!

Just looked on ebay and this is up for grabs.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATLAS-LATHE-/191110817791?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item2c7f17a7ff

I had one before I got my ML7 and it is a cracking tool with a surprisingly large capacity. It is an excellent piece of kit for that money.

Edited to add.....

Don't be put of by the vintage looks either. After a bit of careful setting up, I could get down to a repeatable accuracy of 0.0002" on mine over a 10" test turning.

that looks good! old looks dont put me off, its just getting the most for little money, that will do what i want. well spotted :) as for the others, thanks for the input but everything else is outside of what i could justify regarding how much i will ever use it.

Love the DSG!

Single phase hobby lathes are either tinny crap or premium price. Slightly bigger machines are much nicer and less expensive.

I think a Hardinge HLVH would take a lot of beating terms of value for money. Smart and Brown 1024's are nice, and the Colchesters.... Buy one with as much tooling as possible. You won't believe how much stuff you'll need sooner or later and it'll cost you an awful lot to get piecemeal.

I'd like a little thing like this:

060712525.jpg

Perfect for spacers, footpegs, crash bungs etc

(obviously no good for spindles etc though)

Get if off the shelf as and when you need it.

Never see them come up second hand though and not as value for money as a proper lathe.

Edit: autocorrect fail

Archived