Ldd Gs500E Carb Grief....g'wan, Help Me Pretty Please

srad34

So, one set of spanking clean carbs fitted, rigged up with a temp fuel supply, no airbox, first time start, idles well and revs nice - all good, ....

Fitted the airbox and all standard pipes and tank etc, starts and runs but but idle is at 3k, and blip the throttle and it takes an age to slow the revs down. Thinking vacuum leak, spray wd40 around the carbs/inlets, revs pick up.

So carbs off,checked, all pipes inc inlet checked (the inlets are really soft, not too old I would say), but can I find a leak? - No, nowt at all.

As its LDD, I don't want to pay for the Suzuki Christmas Party by buying replacement inlet tracts, any ideas what to try next chaps?

Could fuel quality or age affect this? - Particularly as it ran okay with no airbox?

Help?

Revs hanging like that says it's lean, which is indicative of an air leak if the rest of the bike's stock. Revs picking up when you spray wd40 round the inlets says you've got an inlet leak (or you're hopelessly inaccurate with your spraying), which in turn could cause it to run lean. To prove the theory, take the inlets off, thoroughly inspect them, and then, just to be safe, gaffer & instant gasket the fuck out of them.

Fuel's not you issue, in my not very expert opinion.

there was an issue with my one, it wouldn't run and one of the needle carrier thingymabobs wasnt seated properly in the diaphragm. (take the lids off and double check they are right, its fairly obvious if it is not

oh, make sure your throttle cables are cock on and not trapped. getting the airbox rubbers back on was a complete twat, made much easier by removing the airfilter and pushing them from inside the airbox

getting the airbox rubbers back on was a complete twat, made much easier by removing the airfilter and pushing them from inside the airbox

Good tip pal, thankyou.

Archived