Again, Which Engine?

kaighn80

Thought I would start a thread that wasn't about rules and bans, I've a spare nc30 frame what engine options do I have? I don't want to use the right engine, where's the fun in that? So please feel free to discuss.

SXV550 if you can keep up with the oil changes, SV650 because they're fairly cheap or Mille because they're badass. RSV4 will probably be too expensive so I didn't mention this, save teasing you. Except I just did.

York diesel.

675 would be excellent if it fits! (doubtful)

I'd put it on some sort of quick release kit too, for ease of access to take it out and put another in each time....

VFR 750 has been done a few times if you still fancy some V4 ness, and the engines are dirt cheap (then big bore and supercharge it).

Firestorm engine in something that actually handles would be pretty cool (or a 170kg SP2 if you're feeling flush and ambitious).

Ducati if you want it to sound awesome (and you like big repair bills).

Bonneville if you want to be eccentric (and retarded)

I would have thought most twins or singles could be made to fit without too much bother in the grand scheme of engine swappery.

Firestorm engine in something that actually handles would be pretty cool

That's a belter of an idea. The engine's decent enough to make an NC a bit wild, cam chain tensioners aside, it's pretty reliable, you can buy the whole bike cheap enough to mean the engine's aren't rare or sought after. The only downside would be mating the engine with the terrible fuel thirst to such a puny tank.

The only downside would be mating the engine with the terrible fuel thirst to such a puny tank.

The standard firestorm tank seemed peanut sized, coupled with a worse drinking problem than Gazza my dad's would struggle to get to 90 miles before the reserve.

Apart from a laughable tank range I reckon it would be a good laugh. Radial CBR front end, VFR750 rear wheel so you can put sticky 180's on and a resprung race shock and that would be a cracking B road scratcher.

TRX 850? Parallel twin with vee twin soundtrack. Would think cheap as chips to buy

Nah, many of them drank all their oil and then lunched either the top end, the bottom end or both ends. I tried to find a 2nd hand engine for my old TRX a few years back, like rocking horse shit.

Nah, many of them drank all their oil and then lunched either the top end, the bottom end or both ends. I tried to find a 2nd hand engine for my old TRX a few years back, like rocking horse shit.

TDM850/900 as an alternative. Surely loads of them about and more or less the same engine is it not?

TDM is significantly different, but if I was going for an engine in an NC30 frame, yes, it's got to be in the running, hasn't it?

Archived