Clutch Issues

wazrs257

To cut a long (and slightly boring) story short my clutch is sticking, and will not dissingage. It's a GasGas EC300. I drained the manky old oil and stripped, and cleaned the plates and it worked fine. Now a few days later it's stuck again. I've removed the pressure plate and all the springs, and it still wont slip! Taking the plates out in one pack, you can slide them apart to split them, but it takes a screwdriver to break them apart sideways. It looks like old oil has leeched out of the fibers and 'stuck' the lot together again. The basket and hub are in good condition with minimal notching.

What are my options? Throw them away and fit a new clutch? Clean in parafin, soak in fresh oil and refit?

I've been riding bikes for more years than I care to remember, and never had a cluch behave like this before! :icon_salut:

Id bin the clutch plates and start new.. Who knows how old it is.. You could have a plate that is slightly warped or the actual plates could be knacked due to age...

Bin it and get new set. :icon_salut:

Thanks for taking the time to reply BB.

The plates have been cleaned and soaked in clean oil over night. I've just left them to drain the excess oil off and will refit them again when I've had a cup of coffee! Incidentally, one of the girl friends Le Creuset cooking dishes is the perfect size for soaking clutch plates in!

Fingers crossed I'll have more luck this time, or they're going in the bin!

Archived