Seat Foam

rfjw

Am after some bits of foam, one to cover a cbr600 seat and one to go between the underside of a fibreglass seat and an ally plate to support the fibreglass.

Both need to be solid to bear load but flexible enough to follow contours, if that makes sense?

Got this pad off raceseatfoam.co.uk who have been helpful but its not flexible enough to follow the curve of the cbr seat

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CBR600rr-2003-2012-Race-Seat-Foam-Self-Adhesive-10mm-Thick-/281070995416?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item41712307d8

and seen this stuff (the closed cell foam stuff)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CBR600rr-2003-2012-Race-Seat-Foam-Self-Adhesive-10mm-Thick-/281070995416?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item41712307d8

but again, not sure if it'll be pretty stiff?

Have had some 10mm foam in the past that's quite dense but feels a bit rubbery, just don't know the name or what to search for

Any advice appreciated

I'm far from an expert but I've never seen seat foam that's significantly more pliable than any others. What you might want to do is get 2 or 3 thinner bits and build it up, plyfoam if you like. The other thing is 'no more nails' double sided tape is the way to go if the edge keeps lifting. Stupidly sticky stuff, really strong.

I've used one of those roll up camping mats you can get from pound shops, it's about 10mm thick and I needed to build it up in layers till it was thick enough to shape by sanding it, it's like a memory foam only stiffer and needed sticking with carpet contact adhesive, worked well. Followed contours and covered well with vynal.

I've used one of those roll up camping mats you can get from pound shops, it's about 10mm thick and I needed to build it up in layers till it was thick enough to shape by sanding it, it's like a memory foam only stiffer and needed sticking with carpet contact adhesive, worked well. Followed contours and covered well with vynal.

Ah yes never thought of that brill cheers

Have you tried warming it with a hair dryer?

I haven't but it doesn't seem the type if stuff that would soften, it's low density and thick and stiff.

Will give it a try tho cheers

Having looked at the Ebay listing, they claim to sell to MotoGP, BSB, etc. I am surprised they sold you something unsuitable. All the closed cell seat foam I've worked with has been flexible, is easily stuck on with contact cement, and can be easily shaped using course grit sanding paper.

Archived