R1 4Xv Using Oil!

Retch32

Ive got a 1999 4xv that ive owned for 11 years this year! Its just done 27,000 miles and has always used a bit of oil but back end of last year its was using a lot. Now spring is upon us going to have to get it sorted. Anybody know what goes wrong? Am thinking its more that just valve seals cheers all

Quite a few do use a fair bit, you are allowed a litre per 1000 miles,check bores are round, re ring and valve seals but also check the guides as they have been known to wear,don't use fully synthetic in it either

Rings and stem seals.

Years ago in pb olly crick rebuilt his 4xv. When he measured the wear it showed it was the valve stem seals that were allowing the oil to be burned. My 5jj uses about one litre every 3000 miles.

Really though all these things are leading to a top end rebuild.

Hone the bores, renew the rings, clean the head and redo the valves.

While your down there you cold get the head flowed raise compression a little and have the cams dialed in, you'll end up with a refreshed engine.

A lot more money than using oil though.

Cheers for all the replies! As to how much oil it's using, am topping up before I go anywhere and pottering about it's not bad but hammering it well within 100 mile the light will come on, god knows what it would be like on a track day! Like the sound of evilchicken0 reply, got a budget of £1000ish

Dude you should get a refresh for a grand easy!! That means you can get the gearbox checked while the engine is out too!

Cheers for all the replies! As to how much oil it's using, am topping up before I go anywhere and pottering about it's not bad but hammering it well within 100 mile the light will come on, god knows what it would be like on a track day! Like the sound of evilchicken0 reply, got a budget of £1000ish

that sort of consumption does sound excessive

my original 4xv engine used to use quite a bit, probably a litre every thousand miles or so, which never used to bother me.

the 2nd engine used considerably less, and only ever needed the odd top up every few thousand miles.

A couple of mates with 4xv/5jj engines use somewhere in between those two examples.

Archived