Spark Plug Thread Gone

Leighio

I have a 929 Firblade and today giving it its yearly service one of the threads has gone on the head for the spark plug.

I know this can be helicoiled but first the engine needs to come out to allow the head to be taken off.

If anyone knows of any good tips along the way I would be greatly appreciative and will attempt to take photos and write something up so it can be placed as a sticky to help others.

Would attempt at taking the head off myself but my knowledge on setting up after is not so great so will be dipping in my pocket for that part.

As said any help is greatly appreciated.

almost exactly like this one then

20140220_184139_zpsdc1dd48c.jpg

1. you dont need to take the engine out to get the head off

2. DO NOT HELICOIL IT, they are shit, timeserts are the best. they kit from wurth is lots of money because it is (from memory) m10x1.25 and i don't have one because the one i did the head got swapped instead. i would estimate a good couple of hours to fit the sert (ie 80 quid) plus the kit (150 ish?) plus removing and refitting the head and parts.

your best bet if finding a second hand head and swapping it over. Having just done one recently i'd reckon on a days work plus gaskets, coolant, shims and so on - budget 500 quid plus the head.

Have had a look on the internet and decided to take the engine out as it will allow me swapped templates and give the engine a good clean.

Cheers for the advice guys and as said think timeserts will be used.

Now when do I have a free weekend next?

Archived