Building Your Own Sm Wheels

Marb

I want to build a set of SM wheels for my KLE.
I have two rims, a 5.00x17 Excel rear and a 3.50x17 Dub Front. I also have two stock hubs.
Now my question is, how do I go about calculating spoke length? I'm fine with lacing bicycle wheels and understand the techniques. I've re-laced stock wheels motorcycle wheels. Both street and MX, I've just never done a set of SM wheels.
For bicycle wheels there are plenty of calculators and programs to help you figure out spoke length and patterns.
Wandering if there is such a thing for SM Wheels? Don't have the money to have it done at the moment, and I'm capable of doing it. Just need the damn spokes
I know in the bicycle world longer spokes are shortend and new threads are rolled, is this an option with bike wheels. I'm going from a 21inch front too a 17 inch front. So, I have a set of spokes that are much too long.
So far Google isn't my friend.

These guys are the easiest to ask for spoke advice or even buy direct. http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/

Have to ask will your 5" rear fit in your swinger ok without any clearance issues? just check your sprocket alignment. With 5" rims and tires that fit dont be surprised if you get any chain rub on the side of your rim/tire. My Crf has both 4.5, 5. and 5.5 rims to play with and all have an issue of some sort but do not affect riding.

If you need more help pm me as there are some good wheel builders in the supermoto world whom do not advertise directly via google.

Archived