Lectrical Gremlins... Zxr

radiobloke

ZX9r engine in a 750 frame.

ZX9r loom.

won't start, but it seems to be trying.

I can here the starter circuit in the fuse box clicking..so it wants to start

thought it was the starter solenoid..so got a wire and flashed accross it to see if the starter motor would turn. it seems to be trying ..

thought it might be the battery, so did the same whilst hooked up to the car by jump leads.

seems that the engine turns for a split second,.

tried it on the button, hooked to the car,,car revving..it just seems to dim everything..( dash lights and car lights)

knackered starter motor?

its an engine that I bought without hearing it run, but was meant to be a runner. rolled it in gear to make sure it hadn't seized..was ok.

I'm gonna set fire to it soon.

any help welcomed. cheers

ZX9r engine in a 750 frame.

ZX9r loom.

won't start, but it seems to be trying.

I can here the starter circuit in the fuse box clicking..so it wants to start

thought it was the starter solenoid..so got a wire and flashed accross it to see if the starter motor would turn. it seems to be trying ..

thought it might be the battery, so did the same whilst hooked up to the car by jump leads.

seems that the engine turns for a split second,.

tried it on the button, hooked to the car,,car revving..it just seems to dim everything..( dash lights and car lights)

knackered starter motor?

its an engine that I bought without hearing it run, but was meant to be a runner. rolled it in gear to make sure it hadn't seized..was ok.

I'm gonna set fire to it soon.

any help welcomed. cheers

Sounds like starter motor/system issues to me. Is it stuck? Do you have another one you could try?

Remove it and bump it..if it fires there lies the problem..

*This assumes you have all wires correctly spliced on your frankenstein bike.

I'd swap the starter first.

If it clicks it usually means not enough juice in the batt, but, as your lights are also diming, check the earth strap on the engine is tight (or even there!), and on the battery too.

Oh, try pulling the clutch lever when you hit the starter, some have a clutch lockout on them. Out off all the ZXR, 7's and 7/9's I've had, 1 has needed me to do this before it would turn over.

Worth a shot!

If you pull a couple of plugs out (or all of them if you really want to be sure) the lack of compression should mean that it spins over, showing you that it's just a lazy starter.

Archived