Fibre Glass Suitable For Enginge Case Crash Sliders

fredator

Hello, I know that fibre glass isn´t that great when it comes to withstanding heat/wear from grinding on asphalt ... but, I am thinking of making some thick engine case sliders from fibre glass to my suzuki gsxr 1000k4. Thinking about making them about 5-6 mm:s thick. Has anyone an idea of how they would fair from say about 3-5 seconds of sliding on the track with the weight of the bike on them ?

My fibre glass fairings have performed quite well on this task, but I would think that the fairing also "bends" and doesn´t have to withstand the pressure of the bike on it ???

And yes, I could buy these ... but I think they are quite expensive and I have some fibre glass in my garage just waiting to be used :-)

warm regards,

peter

PS. Is there something suitable for laminating with the fibre glass that would make it more slider friendly ??? It would have to be quite bendable :-)

My local shop sells some carbon fibre material suitable to use with resin ... but haven´t seen any kevlar material around. Is it suitable to laminate with or what ?

My local shop sells some carbon fibre material suitable to use with resin ... but haven´t seen any kevlar material around. Is it suitable to laminate with or what ?

Short answer, yes. If you can do fibreglass, you can do kevlar. It's just a different cloth.

Okey ... thank you very much for your answers. I will take a look at kevlar cloth, but maybe left to version 1.02 as I started manufacturing from fibre glass already :-)

Okey ... thank you very much for your answers. I will take a look at kevlar cloth, but maybe left to version 1.02 as I started manufacturing from fibre glass already :-)

Okay then.

There's some other polyester based stuff that's very much like Kevlar (which is a DuPont product name I believe) can never remember the name of it but where Kevlar and Carbon are upto £30 a square meter this stuff is about £4 and looks the same and isn't far off performing the same

There's some other polyester based stuff that's very much like Kevlar (which is a DuPont product name I believe) can never remember the name of it but where Kevlar and Carbon are upto £30 a square meter this stuff is about £4 and looks the same and isn't far off performing the same

Do you mean Black Diolen, it looks similar to carbon fibre but is not as strong but has better abrasion resistance and impact strength, I plan to make some engine case protectors myself & will use this when I've made sure it can stand the engines heat. (it's used for making/repairing kayaks & canoes etc)

Archived