Drilla Killa

Evilchicken0

Bloody thing !!

Ok - I have a T'Cat. It's an ex-race engine with no starter. The oil feed to the starter clutch has a bit of weld on to seal it up. So all I have to do is drill the weld out.

Because the hole is close to the casing all I get to drill it is a dremmel thing, the hole is 2mm dia. I've use a 1mm and then a 2mm drill bit ... so far after an hour I have 2mm penetration (nothing funny there) - WTF

Yes I am drilling in the right place.

Should I be using a different type of bit or something ???

Big Pic from taking the starter clutch bolt out, I couldn't get the clutch holding tool on anything.

IMG_20140206_202401_zpsfrljgg0p.jpg

See where the crank cases meet, follow that line up the crank shaft and you'll see theres a more polished area - thats where I'm drilling. The pic was taken before I started.

I think the evil one is trying to drill the welded up hole on the crank. It will be as hard as fuck, you will blunt normal HSS drill at an alarming rate, if you are lucky it might just be the outer layer of weld that is hard, and get easier.

Getting the speed of the drill bit will be critical to how well it cuts, as will lots of lubricant.

A cobalt tipped drill it what you'd want ideally, but if you can't get one. buy half a dozen good quality hss ones and be patient.

• 1 month later...

Finally got it done.

I got a flexi drill extension which just about fitted in the space for the starter gears. Went through 4 or 5 1.5mm bits and then a couple of 2mm opening it up.

What a pita. Still I can get the clutch back in and of course the starter gears

Archived