07-12 Cbr600 Clutch Centre Nut

rfjw

Evening I need some help please!

Am replacing standard clutch with a bling slipper clutch and have encountered a few disasters so far but have been stumped by the latest one.

Taking the standard centre hub out I have found the staked nut to have its tab bashed too far in to be able to flick it out and undo as normal.

Can't find anything on Google and so far have done the usual bike in top gear with rear brake on and an airgun hoping the tab would shear off but it hasn't. Do I persist or do I drill the area and risk shit in the engine and damage to the clutch shaft?

Any advice/piss taking welcomed cheers

Hmm, firstly I'd give it a rest with the windy gun, could end up causing more damage.

Can you surround the clutch area and open areas with rags etc to stop any debris getting in there and use a Dremel with a small cutting disc to cut the tab off at the base?

I had thought that cibbers and packed the area with rags in readiness but then thought there may be a cleaner alternative. Kit-parts, I thought once it was bashed in beyond hope of getting it out if I bashed it further in it may fatigue and start to break loose, hence I've been bashing it in further then using the air gun to see if I could persuade it to sheer off. Bad idea?

Whatever you go for may risk swarf going somewhere. Leave the rags in there. It's only a small tab so wouldn't take much cutting. Unless you're planning on using a 6inch disc on an angle grinder you shouldn't make much mess. You're not using that clutch anyway so give it a good blow out with an airline afterwards.

thanks for the help guys, phoned padgetts and hunts honda also to get their opinion and they said grind it off too.

Got back today and did every job I could, having put it off as long as poss my dad suggested holding the hub with clutch holder, resting that on the rearset and using a breaker bar.

Breaker bar didn't get it but breaker bar plus 2ft tube did, gave a satisfying click as the tab bust off and wound out easily from there.

Relieved it didn't require grinding and glad he suggested it as i was about to jump in and cut it.

tightening the suter centre nut sent me light headed, 128nm torque is pretty steep but i guess it won't be dropping off any time soon.

Thanks again

Archived