Cleaning A Radiator

uglymark

What's the best way of cleaning the Finns on a radiator . Any type of cleaner or just normal degreaser and elbow grease with a tooth brush and a pick to get the crap out .

I asked the same question in January, the advice was to remove the radiator and use an ultrasonic cleaner but I didn't want to take it off. Instead I removed the fan and housing from behind the rad (air-cooled inline four), squirted in that pink muc-off from the front and used a garden hose from behind. I repeated that 3 times and then it was pretty squeaky clean. I used a few cocktail sticks to get the remaining giant beasties out and straighten up a couple of flat fins and rinsed again. A brush just gets snagged on the fins.

Mine was properly crudded though, most of it was manure and salt (mmm, tasty) but my commute is via a lot of back roads past farms.

Same-ish...flatened a piece of stainless welding wire in one end, and bent the other end into a kind of handle. I suppose the ultra sonic would remove the slight corrosion too?

Archived