Dense Metal Bar.

Alex.

Hi Guys,

For one of my non-bike related projects, I need a number of cylindrical weights to add to the end of a rod.

I have made some weights out of stainless steel, but to get a good amount of weight, they need to be quite long.

I was thinking of either brass or bronze, with the benefit of easy machining.

What metals are readily available in bar of about 30mm diameter? I would need about 6" to 12" of bar.

As cost is always a factor, I think that tungsten will be out of my reach!

Any info (or offers of cheap bar... :thumbsup: ) gratefully received!

Alex.

Brass should be fine and is readily available in lots of diameters from any stockholder.

I pay about £120 for 1.5m lengths at 40mm diameter and can confirm it's heavy.

Lead sash weights. Possibly not what you're looking for. But they are certainly dense.

How does lead perform in a lathe? I get the impression that it would be too soft.

I would like something that is very smooth and uniform on the outside, with a fairly accurate hole through the middle.

Alex.

How does lead perform in a lathe? I get the impression that it would be too soft.

I would like something that is very smooth and uniform on the outside, with a fairly accurate hole through the middle.

Alex.

I expect it would flop about, break and boink you on the head. Thats in my opinion as a BTEC first certificate mechanical engineer.

i have some bronze in about 1" diameter but it was rudely expensive.

you could melt some lead into a mould.

So bronze is shit loads of money, but brass is just rather a lot?

As for melting lead, I can spin stuff in a lathe, but moulds are another matter. Add in the really rather hot molten metal, receipe for disaster!

Alex.

Copper is denserer than brass and easily obtainable in 30mm round

Isn't copper much more expensive than brass, though?

It would look cool on the end of my rod...

Alex.

Archived