Zxr7/9.. Calling All Zxr Experts!

radiobloke

Got a 91 zxr750 that i put a B3 900 engine in.

Got the wiring sorted now,..900 CDi etc. so its going back together this weekend.

Just need a bit of advice in the carbs.

What do i do with the tubes on top of the carbs? Join them, block them, leave em open or something else?

3ae7057a4276ec47fbde137128e32ad5_zps197e

And underneath the carbs i see a small tube with a T junction. Again,.. Block, link or other? I heard somewhere that this should be plugged into the bottom of the airbox?

992e221c1923366eb6bde356af90aa11_zps346e

The 9 had ramair and the tubes on top are connected too the ramair, you can leave them disconnected. The little tube needs to be plugged. It's a vacuum hose. Haven't heard of the floatbowl mod

the two hoses run to the bowls they should be vented to the airbox (only ram air boxes) this equalizes the pressure between the airbox and carb bowls... plug the other hose......

All nuggets of knowledge can be found here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webzxr/zxr750r/

And other erm Knowledge? can be found on zx7r owners club redmonkey....... you may also find sticky gimp suits and bleeding bumholes also...

I was a member on redmonkey, recently contacted them about the login and had no response. Been looking thru the site as guest but cant post

Read the webzxr site many times. Big gaping holes in the info on there. Hence this couple of questions,

Cheers tho

I was a member on redmonkey, recently contacted them about the login and had no response. Been looking thru the site as guest but cant post

Read the webzxr site many times. Big gaping holes in the info on there. Hence this couple of questions,

Cheers tho

What I posted was the float bowl mod you where asking about.

Redmonkey admin (steve) has been dark for a while now.

Have you read kens tips on webzxr?

The two large pipes need to be connected into the tubes at the front of the airbox inlet similar to what they were on the original b model 9r or it simply wont run properly past 5000rpm. The other small pipes can be blanked off

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=zx9r+b+model+carbs&client=tablet-android-samsung&hl=en-GB&source=android-browser-type&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=85fpUuzYHceThQfXo4AI&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAA&biw=1280&bih=800#biv=i%7C25%3Bd%7CBAz_RsJDBIs8gM%3A

Edited to add link to pic

Has anyone tried running a setup similar to the carbed R6 YEC trick? instead of plumbing to the airbox, you run the pipe to the front of the air intake hence puts more pressure into the bowls?

just wondering if this would work on a different bike.

Has anyone tried running a setup similar to the carbed R6 YEC trick? instead of plumbing to the airbox, you run the pipe to the front of the air intake hence puts more pressure into the bowls?

It does....i did this when I converted my hybrid fzr400/900 blade to a ramair setup with the stock vacuum carbs....running the pipes to the inlet gave much better carburation balance.

J model takes air in under the seat. the intake pipes are purely for looks. the airbox isn't pressurised like it is on the 93 onwards models.

Does that change anything? cos the airbox wont be pressurised? it'll be just about the same pressure as sitting them forward?

So to confirm the recent posts..

The big tubes on the top of the carbs. Now we are saying fit a tube to them and hang em out the front like we did on old R6's? like the old pipes on a CBR6?

makes sense as it would add the pressure that would be missing from the airbox.

Looking at your pics, the top tubes you could try to put a pipe to out front of the bike ala R6 mod. the bottom one looks like the vacuum tubby things on the cylinder head intake that you hook a balancer to. i think we just had them capped off.

bone-zx10r... sorry mate..I'm just getting a google images page. was there a specific pic you were showing?

cheers

sorry dude il try again. But basicaly them pipes plug into a filter each and then carry on with one either side the headstock through the frame and to two small tubes mounted right at the entrance the airbox right at the front of the bike ( under the headlamp).

Ok cheers guys.

Also had a word with zxrDave and he's confirmed things.

Block the small one and let the big ones sit in the breeze.

I will however also consider the additional tube out the front like the R6 mod. See how that works. Gonna be hard to replicate on a dyno but might give it a back to back comparison at a trackday.

Cheers for the input fellas

I`d consider extending the big ones a bit and pointing them downwards.

I think air just gets pulled in and out of these vents as the slides rise/fall (sort of tidally).

The 40mm CV`s I fitted on a GSXR11K seemed to have pulled in a fair amount of muck through these vents after coming back from France in some very shitty weather.

It does....i did this when I converted my hybrid fzr400/900 blade to a ramair setup with the stock vacuum carbs....running the pipes to the inlet gave much better carburation balance.

That's curious the air flowing at the front of the air intakes will be faster flowing than in the airbox, hence lower pressure, the faster you go the lower the pressure in the front of the air intake.

I guess it improves the carburation as you get a stronger signal in the pipes.

Archived