Welding Swingarms And Heat Treatment.

chancho196

Hey folks, I'm calling on the expertise and common sense we all rely on in this forum. I very much value you the replies to my questions on here, and any help is appreciated.

As you may remember I'm messing around with an '83 GSX750ES and now I want to know about bracing the swingarm. Here's a few questions I'm hoping the racing/building/welding/chassis experts can help with:

1) If I brace it, will the rest of the swingarm's strength be severely compromised?

2) Will it need heat treatment?

3) Were they heat treated when new?

4) Anyone know the grade of aluminium used in those days?

In fairness, the welds from Suzuki are pretty bad but, in saying that, have lasted thirty years so far.. Looking at the pics of the Yoshimura GS700ES that Schwantz started on, the swingarm looks to be very similar to a standard unit so I was hoping to achieve a similar look.

Here's the little beaut.

Lumix4835.jpg

Lumix4834.jpg

Lumix4833.jpg

Lumix4832.jpg

That's a good point actually. The Yoshimura GS700ES was on top of the swingarm. I had wondered if it was possible to go from the bottom to join up with the shock mounting brackets. But would this weaken it?

I'm open to ideas on the best plan of attack.

Here's a pic I found on Google of the Schwantz bike.

SchwantzGS700ES.jpg

I would try to incorporate those two bottom brackets into the design.

The two brackets are designed to be stressed only in tension,so you would need to box them in with sheet in front and back...this will give them increased strength/stiffness in all directions....then triangulate off them with tube to each end of the swingarm...you could run a single length of tube,bent into a U shape from each end of the swingarm and welded into the rear of the boxed in brackets....minimum welding required.

Just be sure to check the swinger for cracks first.

Thanks Suspensionsmith! Sounds good, and you think it'll be ok without having it heat treated?

Well if you use 5083 that will be fine.....and I doubt if the original swinger was heat treated....should be ok.

Also.....dont be afraid to add weight...make everything thick and beefy....just to be on the safe side.

Out of interest, is 5083 usually readily available in box and rectangular sections? I can find plenty of places selling 5083 plate, but not in anything else.

6060 and 6063 seem to be the common ones, but they're all heat treatable.

We dont have much choice here in Australia....try Capral...they sell 6061/T6 in round tube form...but you usually have to buy it in 6 meter lengths.

The guys at Onesteel told me to try Capral in Yatala too. I'll give them a whirl. Why the lack of choice out here? And are you in QLD?

Also.....dont be afraid to add weight...make everything thick and beefy....just to be on the safe side.

Just thinking, the original arm is sufficiently strong (if not great), so why the need to make it especially beefy, surely any additional strength is going to help?

The guys at Onesteel told me to try Capral in Yatala too. I'll give them a whirl. Why the lack of choice out here? And are you in QLD?

I am in Canberra

I think because we lack any real form of industry that uses stuff like that in quantity (apart from mining) and local manufacturers find it hard to compete with imports,,,so its imported,

Just thinking, the original arm is sufficiently strong (if not great), so why the need to make it especially beefy, surely any additional strength is going to help?

If its had a history then metal fatigue/corrosion could be an issue with the original arm...

If it can be properly engineered/fabricated and welded then light weight construction is ok...if not give it a lot. :-)

I'm guessing it's just better to be on the safe side regarding cracks etc. in the future. Being so light, I'll use as much as I can (if I can find some!).

Archived