Dream On - Building A 40V 2.0L V8

Marb

So, we all dream. We all have our mechanical fantasies.
Mine is a V8. A 2 liter 40 valve V8. Based on two R1 engines. Now, I am not a complete noob. I have a mechanical engineering background and working as a bike mechanic for the better part of 8 years. However, I am a noob compared to some of the smart people on here. And it's always good to get more input from others.
So, the parameters and questions are as follows. I'd like the PB forums advice and knowledge.
1. Has to be a 5 valve head yamaha. Just 'cos I love them and because they haven't been used (as much) for V8 projects. However, I am no real R1 guru. Which 20V R1 would be the best to start with? I am leaning towards the later '04/'06 bikes purely due to the usage of a more advanced injection system. The earlier FZR750/1000 and YZF750 engines aren't really feasible due to central location of the cam chain. The R1's have them on the side. This obviously means that the reversed cilinder will have the camchain on the otherside.
2. Using R1 engines is has one big problem. The fact that they don't have a seperate cilinder blok. However, if I'm going to be making my own engine parts I might as wel make my own cilinder bloks. The big advantage of making my own cilinder bloks is that I can relocate the cam chain tensioner of the reversed cilinders so that those cams can run backwards. This allows me to do away with (imho) ugly gears that reverse the cam drive.
It would mean that I need to get the cams reground for the reversed cilinder to allow them to run backwards. I could however also convert to gear driven cams, that would be pretty cool too.
3. It's not gonna be used in a bike. At the moment I am thinking a Renault 4 converted to RWD. But that doesn't really matter. It means that I can use an off the shelf can transmission and clutch making my life alot simpler.
4. Crossplane crank, like many 'merican v8's. The crank is a major pain in the ass. Seeing as I'm going to have use the spacing of the R1 engine and basically going to be sticking two rods on a single crank pin. Meaning that the webs are going to be very thin.
There is a company in Belgium that makes cranks for a FZR1000 V8 and are suprisingly affordable. I need to get my hands on an R1 engine to see if it is at all possible seeing as the R1 engine is narrower than the FZR/YZF750 era engines. I need to figure out if there is enough space left to make crank webs that will hold up to 200+ hp.
5. Sand cast cases, 'cos I like the look and the challenge of making the molds myself. 3D printing should add a new level of ease to the mold making. My knowledge of sandcasting is not very extensive. Anyone have any good books or sources of information regarding making molds for engines?
6. Dry Sump.
7. Supercharged. Why not. Designing an engine from (almost) scratch I might as well design it to be supercharged from the get go.
So, I apologize if my english isn't too clear, but I hope that you get the gist.
This is just a brainstorm session. Lets hear your thoughts.

i think getting 5v yam cam ground might be tricky - didn't someone already do this for a car? i wonder how they did it

In dutch they're called crank cheeks, and doing a quick google search shows that that is indeed what I mean by web.

I don't know of a V8 based on R1 engines. I know of the H1, based on the Hayabusa engines, however I can't figure out of they run the cams backwards or if they have a a gear that runs the cams the right way.

These are pics of the FZR1000 based V8 build by a german at motorbau.de.

V81_zpsa77f666f.png

v83_zpse8cf370f.png

Check out how thin the "cheeks" are

innen_zpsa752c79f.jpg

Advanced engine research on burnt mills in basildon deal with a few engines like this, last on I saw was a gsxr thou based 2l v8 might be worth giving them a call and picking their brains, as for engine castings there's a lot of info on backyard metal casting on the web, a lot of stuff about mold making and what sands to use etc. if you make a start don't forget lots of pictures and stuff.

RST AKA Russell Savory built an FZR1000 based V8 about 20 years ago, and is still building them, does a supercharged version too.

http://www.rsperformance.co.uk/index.html.

d2040-12_copy.jpg

Then there's the sesco V8. they did kit to convert Gsx or z1000 motors into a V8, a few have been built around GSXR1100 motors. Cool As fuck. I want one in a Hot rod.

suzukiv8raceengine.jpg

Some cool stuff hereon sesco v8s http://macgor.proboards.com/thread/8425

Some pictures of Sesco V8 innards here.http://s459.photobucket.com/user/fasttom5116/library/sesco?sort=3&page=2

You don't want the link to a unused fully built injected sesco v8 that was up for $1500 6 months ago. :eusa_wall:

Archived