R6 5Eb Slipper Clutch Quandry *rwr

Mrdrink

*rogue washer related.

Friend has had his engine rebuilt. got it back in, fired up well but when the clutch lever was pulled in there was a knocking where the clutch just caught the inside of the clutch cover. called the engine guy and he thought it was a non standard washer that he wasn't sure about that he put the wrong side of the clutch basket.

So we took it apart this evening and saw the issue and no real damage was done but on inspection if we put this washer the nut side it doesn't look like there will be enough room for the nut to sit on, maybe only half way on.

Now its this washer that we are wondering about. does anyone here have experience with either a 5EB or 5SL and fitting a slipper? The washer isn't part of the standard clutch and the hub sits back against the thrust washer. Im wondering if I'm ok to leave it out or has it got a specific job I'm overlooking?

photo2_zps516f8afd.jpgphoto1_zps9fff660f.jpg

I had a sigma slipper in my 4xv R1

(similar, but more manly engine)

IIRC there was a thrust washer that sat between the inner hub & the outer basket (as standard) and this was retained when using the sigma unit.

Is that a sigma clutch? (looks like one). Then don't forget the thick washer (sigma, not OEM) which replaces the OEM tabbed lockwasher under the centre nut - this limits the clutch centre lift to prevent the ball bearings escaping

IIRC with the sigma you should also use threadlock on the centre nut and torque the centre nut up higher than the OEM clutch set-up (120nm instead of about 70 or something)

HTH

*disclaimer* Of course non of that may be correct, it's a few years now since I had the R1, so don't rely on what I'm saying!

I will get to have another play with this tomorrow afternoon.

Im thinking the clutch goes up against the standard thrust washer as seen in the pics and the little washer then goes the other side. on that side there is a stepped washer that fits inside the spider spring. this rogue one (pictured) must go either side of the stepped one with the main nut on top. will try a few ways and see which one looks best.

I know the clutch will basically work where ever i put it but its more where its spaced in relation to the clutch cover. bugger it, i could grind a couple of mm of the spars in the back of the cover :D*

*only joking ;)

For me I give up on the 5 valve head. Yamaha gave up on them and my experience is that they drink fuel, I can't see that they'd get any more efficient if you blow them.

For me I give up on the 5 valve head. Yamaha gave up on them and my experience is that they drink fuel, I can't see that they'd get any more efficient if you blow them.

Wrong thread?!

Archived