Starting A Bike For The First Time In Years

stevieweavie

My LDD Kawasaki hasn't been fired up in 4 years, whats the best way to go about starting it. I've heard of people pulling the plugs out, and pouring a little oil into the cylinders to aid with lubrication, is this a good idea? I'm planning on draining any fuel in the tank first, then putting in some fresh, and blasting the carbs with carb claner too.

Leave the clutch tied in for a day or two while you try and charge the battery (face it, it's fucked, but it might hold a charge for an hour while you do this stuff...), then take the plugs out, pop it up on a stand, bosh about a cap-full of oil into each of the bores, let it sit for 15 minutes, stick it in gear, turn the back wheel so that the oil gets up & down the bores. By now you've realised the battery's had it and you've got some jump leads on there. Still with the plugs out, turn it on the starter for 20 seconds or so, not enough that the starter starts slowing down, you don't want to kill it, just get the oil pump back in the mood. Next try a little spray of easistart in each of the carb inlets, nothing much, just a bit, then pop the plugs back in. How's that feel now, huh? Resurrection!

Remove plugs

5 mm oil down each bore

Turn over by hand a few revolutions (as said)

Clean and check gaps on plugs (id buy new just to be ok) & refit.

Bypass fuel tank with fresh fuel, Open and drain carb float bowls and wait till new fuel come through.

Fit fully charged battery

Hit the started and hopefully it will start.

Drain the tank and fit inline fuel filter to be safe.

Job jobbed.

^^^^These are top tips, exactly what I did with mine ('cept replacing plugs coz I am a tightwad)

This reminds me of an incident when i went car buying with a mate of mine, spent ages haggling over the price of a mini that hadn't moved in years and wouldn't turn over even with jump leads. We explained that the engine was seized and hence the car was worth peanuts. Eventually we got the thing for about 17p or something silly, then attached a massive tow rope to it, pulled it about 25 yards with a land rover disco and dumped the clutch on the mini. I then drove home with the mini following me under its own steam!

clean the carbs.

why not check the plugs spark while they're out ?

after doing the stuff in the above and with the airbox off lift up the carb slides and spray a 3 second squirt of carb cleaner in each carb .... then try starting it.

Might pop a bit

Archived