Rx8 Engine Alternatives

Adam

Firstly let me apologise for disgracing these pages with a 4 wheeled conundrum. However, I did buy the RX8 because I really wanted a Duckham's Norton Racebike when I was a kid so I got the car for it's rotary motor. Bit ironic now as I want to change it.

I bought the car in 2008 and it ran until the rear phasing gear let go in 2010. Since then the car has been moved twice when we've moved house. I've never had the money to buy a new engine, and even if I did, I can't afford to finance the 14mpg it hoovers up.

The chassis however is mint. It is really nicely balanced and I loved driving it.

So, I'd like to transplant another motor into it. So far I've been thinking about 2.0 MX5 engines and such.

I also thought about going diesel but that might be a step to far.

It would most probably be the sensible thing to do to break it for parts and scrap the rest but the PB in me can't bare to do that. It Will live again, just don't know which plan of action I'll take.

Any suggestions, advice or otherwise is most welcome.

The Honda S2000 is a similar style of car, ie fast spinning, bike like, engine, there has to be plenty of those engines kicking around? :eusa_think:

Basically all you need is:

H2-V8-TT-busa-2.jpg

2 busa motors welded together :D

Or in realistic land would a 328/330 motor fit? Straight 6 of awesome.

not just two Busa engines welded together....

that's two Busa engines welded together plus two motherfucking turbos

Howabout the engine with the most distinctive sound in the car world - Scoobydoo Imprezza, that would really piss the fanbois off :P

Basically all you need is:

H2-V8-TT-busa-2.jpg

That has got to sound like the space time continuum being ripped asunder at full chat!

Ossum!

That has got to sound like the space time continuum being ripped asunder at full chat!

Ossum!

The Busa - based V8s are taking over from the f1 derived engines in hill climbing , and they do indeed sound fantastic.

what about the mazda mps engine 2.3 turbo 4 pot. 260 ish bhp, not a heavy lump and you'll probably keep the warranty up with it being in house...

what about the mazda mps engine 2.3 turbo 4 pot. 260 ish bhp, not a heavy lump and you'll probably keep the warranty up with it being in house...

Is that in the Mazda 6?

Is that in the Mazda 6?

I think they do a version in the 6 and the 3. Crankshaft fits in the duratec as well, looked at doing a mk1 focus ST with 2.3 on throttle bodies a few years back, but stuck with mi16 powered 205...

I've got a 2.5 v6 st24 that would fit a treat, that and a mega squirt ecu with an edis module from a cosworth v6, that'll sort it right out, if not then I've got a 2l Subaru flat four laying about although I don't have an ecu for it! Nudge nudge wink wink, and if your thinking it won't work I've a mid engined rwd 2.2 vtec turbo mini roadster (classic mini not a BMW metro) that says otherwise!!!

Electronic distributorless ignition system, when ford started to change over from distributor to early ecu designs they used a module that used signals from the crank position sensor and other bits and bobs to generate a set of coordinates on a pre programmed ignition curve, the megasquirt has the ability to modify the data going into the edis module so that the ignition is programable.

Archived