Hid Conversion - '05 Zx6R C1H

-=JK=-

Hi pb massive, i'm thinking of upgrading the headlamps on my bike.

Looked at this a couple of years ago, but got cold feet as kept reading about failures with kits and even damage to wiring looms.

So, hopefully things have moved on, so i'm after recommendations of retailers or kits that you have experience of having fitted and that work well.

Probably should just have pm'd banoffee, as i seem to remember him having fitted similar kits.

All guidance greatly appreciated. I think the bulbs are H7. Yes, i do ride at night :)

I fitted two HID's to my ZX7 a few months ago, we'll worth very penny. Way, way brighter and pick up every reflective surface nearby. I got them off eBay and the seller was really helpful. I'll dig out the details when I'm next on eBay. He wasn't the cheapest, but given the amount of work it was to fit them, I didn't want to risk some cheap crap and having to do it twice.

If you are looking at a HID lamp conversion using your light unit, I'd say don't bother. The reason for this is the light reflector isn't designed for this bulb and its light output, as such yes you'll have a brighter light but you will also have a shed load of light scatter, to the point even on dip you'll dazzle on coming cars etc.

Did I read that right in the link that the Cree bulbs require (and come with) cooling fans? That, somehow, strikes me as a strange solution. Presumably, the fans blow air into the headlight unit to cool the bulbs, along with all other road muck. Nice!

Presumably, the fans blow air into the headlight unit to cool the bulbs, along with all other road muck. Nice!

I doubt it, LEDs don't give out heat from the front like a normal bulb would do, rather the drivers circuits get warm, meaning big heatsinks on the back of them, usually a big aluminium handle on a torch for example, but I doubt they'd have room for that on a headlight, hence the fan. This is just a guess though.

If you are looking at a HID lamp conversion using your light unit, I'd say don't bother. The reason for this is the light reflector isn't designed for this bulb and its light output, as such yes you'll have a brighter light but you will also have a shed load of light scatter, to the point even on dip you'll dazzle on coming cars etc.

I did have to lower the beams a fair bit with the HID's fitted, but since then no trouble.

Archived