Race Belly Fairing - Catch Tray Question

ianl1201

As I'm embarking on a novice season of racing - well a couple of meetings hopefully - this year with the Slingy, I'm struggling to figure out how to mod the fairing to incorporate the fluid catch tray as required by ACU regs. It needs to have a 50mm lip and, as I've not done any fibreglassing before, my belly pan would probably look like it had melted if I go down the route of adapting the standard fairing (plus there isn't room under the exhaust with the shape as it is).

I'm struggling to get race panels so am also contemplating running without a fairing. How have you seasoned racers amongst us gone on...Modded/adapted alternative or existing fairing? Knocked up some baking tray Heath Robinson device under the motor?

Any tips appreciated....probably be a few more thicko questions before the blind panic of my first race meeting sets in!

Ragged edge racing used to do Slabbie race fairings, with catch tray. Not sure if he has new moulds yet after his fire.

Maybe you could adapt an xr69 fairing or sell your soul to Air tech and get a Yoshi rep fairing.

Mmmmmmm...Yoshi rep fairing. Cheers for the heads up Superdunc. I checked Ragged Edge after your last tip off and nothing was listed but will follow that one up. Also seen a crowd in the states doing Yoshi rep fairing and tailpieces but not sure about the belly pan again.

If I ran without plastics, could it be as simple as pop rivetting a couple of brackets to a suitable vessel and bolting it underneath the motor?

This is the type of thing I'm thinking of if I go 'sans fairing'!

qrcg.jpg

Personally I think this is cool as fuck. Does anyone know anything about this bike or recognise the bellypan cos it's got me stumped!

That's tre cool, but I have no idea what the belly pan is from.

Two options;

1. Get something cheap and easily avaliable and cut it to suit - maybe GSXR1000?

2. Ask around in the Earlystocks paddock, or on Motoforum, or the guys on here who are into their steetfighters - Radiobloke, Suntmonkey, Sid Kinky etc.

Best of luck with the racing B)

Buy the cheapest race belly-pan you can find that's a rough match and cut to suit.

Most of the earlystockers (with twin cradle frames) run turkey trays (no shit!).

I've ran an nc30 race belly pan, but it was a little short so the scrutineers whinged

and it had to be mounted too low because it was a little narrow so decked out all the time on full tilt.

I've got what was listed as cbr600 which fits lovely, but no idea what year.

A good bet may be to find a supplier that provides the measurements,

I think there is a German fibreglass supplier on eblag that handily gives all the measurements in their listings,

very handy for reference.

(as for ES, alas, I think the slingy may be too young,

pre-87 or continuation of a pre-87 model with the same frame,

the suzuki's changed their frames just about every year though...)

Cheers vfiend - I'll have a browse on the bay to see what's about.

You're right about earlystocks, I had a look at CRMC post classics as well and the slingy's a couple of years too young for that too. I'm planning to have a run out in the Pre '98 open class at Darley and maybe a track day or two as shake downs this year.

It's always worth asking the question with ES,

if it's determined not to hold a significant performance advantage and is in the spirit of the club they may still let you out.

If I remember correctly didn't the slingy change to short stroke from the slabby? So there may not be much of an avenue to probe.

Cass & Steve who run the club know their suzi's though as they have a 85 slabby project themselves,

they'd either give you a quick answer of 'sorry but no' or check with a few of the racing membership if it's borderline,

they don't mind a polite question, I've asked them all kinds of stupid stuff(!)

CRMC are a different kettle of fish, they have big numbers and a reputation of being a little picky ("i'm sorry, you're lower fairing section is fzr not fz..." etc) they very much expect stuff (even down to paintschemes) to be original so there isn't an element of flexibility.

(edit: that was a little negative, I went spectating to their classic festival last year, excellent day out.)

If it's the 750 (was the 1100 badged as a slingshot too?), Golden Era SuperBikes with ThunderSport GB may be worth a look.

Good tracks, very professionally run paddock and the class itself has a good mix of very good riders (simmo on his rc45) but it is also a "gentleman's" racing class (i.e. A few old farts you can tag onto at the back).

I'm hoping to do a meet or two with them this year at Dono on the RC24 which is very much not an RC45...

Cheers vfiend :thumbsup:

Will look into a few of those options. I have looked at Golden Era but some of those boys are spending serious dosh and I'm trying to not get drawn into that. I got me licence so I can have a wobble round on t'other side of the fence after spectating for 30 odd years before I'm too old and knackered. I want to try and avoid getting into the big spending (easier said than done I know when it comes to racing) if I can!

I've toyed with the idea of flogging the Slingy and getting something already converted for track use...but where's the challenge in that!

I went spectating to their classic festival last year, excellent day out.

I was there - it was bloody superb wasn't it - that was actually the event that made me decide to go and get my licence....just need to get me arse in gear and get the bike sorted now!

I have looked at Golden Era but some of those boys are spending serious dosh

So what?

Doesn't mean everyone has to spend seriously moolah,

I'm still planning on rocking up on my shonky old RC24 (that I bought for £550...).

As long as the bike is correctly prepped it doesn't matter what it's worth.

Cheers vfiend :thumbsup:

Will look into a few of those options. I have looked at Golden Era but some of those boys are spending serious dosh and I'm trying to not get drawn into that. I got me licence so I can have a wobble round on t'other side of the fence after spectating for 30 odd years before I'm too old and knackered. I want to try and avoid getting into the big spending (easier said than done I know when it comes to racing) if I can!

I've toyed with the idea of flogging the Slingy and getting something already converted for track use...but where's the challenge in that!

I was there - it was bloody superb wasn't it - that was actually the event that made me decide to go and get my licence....just need to get me arse in gear and get the bike sorted now!

I'll second what Mr Vfiend said, get some experience & laps in first before you worry about getting near the front

Hottrax split their Modern Classic Superbike class into 2 - with the EVO for injected stuff, and the non-EVO class for anything before. You're not on the best bike, but you don't need to be, until you get serious with it. A slingy will be awesome fun whilst you cut your teeth.

Plus there's now a good spread of early supersport stuff on the same grid, and a good spread of abilities/experience - you'll find plenty of people to race no question!

www.hottraxmotorsport.co.uk

PB

Cheers Toosmooth - the Hottrax class sounds like what I'm after. Look out for a slow slingy at the back later in the season...it'll be me!

No problem mate, come pop your head round the awning if you see me and the SRAD at any meetings this year.

My focus isn't on the Modern Classic stuff this year, more the Classic Classic (Spa 4 hour in July!), but I reckon I'll make a round or two.

PB

As I'm embarking on a novice season of racing - well a couple of meetings hopefully - this year with the Slingy, I'm struggling to figure out how to mod the fairing to incorporate the fluid catch tray as required by ACU regs. It needs to have a 50mm lip and, as I've not done any fibreglassing before, my belly pan would probably look like it had melted if I go down the route of adapting the standard fairing (plus there isn't room under the exhaust with the shape as it is).

I'm struggling to get race panels so am also contemplating running without a fairing. How have you seasoned racers amongst us gone on...Modded/adapted alternative or existing fairing? Knocked up some baking tray Heath Robinson device under the motor?

Any tips appreciated....probably be a few more thicko questions before the blind panic of my first race meeting sets in!

If you're still struggling then try Ragged Edge Racing

tel: 07747571470

ragged.edge43@yahoo.co.uk

T

I had to take my bike in the van to his place near Thornbury (South Gloucestershire) for him to measure my bike & make a prototype whcih he did in a few hours & he didn't charge me much either. It fits great & will hold loads of oil.

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv264/Kawasakifreak_photo/19_zps222a6190.jpg

Cheers lads - that's a big help.

Dave, I recognise that bike - I followed the build on oldskoolsuzuki.info before the site expired....a fine machine being used properly! :thumbsup: Is he still racing it?

I think he sold it with a standard motor back in it. He got third in the extreme championship in its first season using the Spondon he built. That's a serious bit of kit though, Ohlins r&t forks and shock, big motor etc. He's running a 350hp water injection turbo in it currently - fastest bike at the Pendine speed trials last year.

Archived