Reassembling Brake Calipers

NCSprinter30

I've stripped my brake calipers, all of the bolts holding the calipers together were pretty seized. When reassembling them is it wise to copperslip the bolts?

Also should I lube the whole piston with red rubber grease or just the seal once it's seated in the caliper?

I've never been a massive fan of copper slip on caliper bolts myself, its the one set of bolts on the bike I dont want coming out easily. And I just use red rubber grease on the seals, should be fine as long as the piston is in good order.

Why would using copper slip cause the bolts to come out?? Lubricated bolted joints work better than dry ones, since more of the applied torque goes into stretching the bolt, rather than overcoming friction on the thread.

I always soak the new seals in brake fluid for a few hours, or ideally a day, before installing them, which makes assembly much easier. This was recommended to me buy a brake manufacturer.

If you use rubber grease, you only need the lightest smear on the sides of the piston.

Why would using copper slip cause the bolts to come out?? Lubricated bolted joints work better than dry ones, since more of the applied torque goes into stretching the bolt, rather than overcoming friction on the thread.

When torquing such bolts does your manual give you a torque for a dry thread or a lubricated one? Because it wouldn't be the same value.

Fair enough, and good point about the torque values. I've used copper slip on caliper mounting bolts and not had any problems, but that's not a big sample I guess.

And also allows the fastener to come undone easier.

There are plenty of documented instances of the wrong fastener finish being used (BZP being in place of natural for example) and having been responsible for the failure of the joint, let alone the use of a lubricating medium.

As I've mentioned before, I helped an engineering company that was consulting for Kent Constabulary when they investigated the death of a bike engined kit car driver at Brands Hatch. The builder, who was also the driver, had used copperslip liberally on every fastener when building the car and this had resulted in the sprocket carrier bolts coming undone and the drivetrain locked up.

Could they have come undone by not being tightened correctly in the first place?

Or was the use of copperslip directly responsible for it?

Archived