Rim Protectors

NCSprinter30

Has anyone had any good experience with using anything other than the normal plastic rim protectors when changing tyres?

I have four but that doesn't seem to be enough as a couple get trapped then it's always difficult moving the others to the next part of the wheel.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or something they use instead?

Also putting a pair of racetecs on today were a right git! I should of had them in the house for 24 hours before really. Lesson learnt!

Buy yourself a cheap set of second hand tyre warmers, and they will pop on with your bare hands after half an hour.

Tip of the year right there.

Never thought of that!

Buy yourself a cheap set of second hand tyre warmers, and they will pop on with your bare hands after half an hour.

Only if you have hands like the Hulk..............I put mine in warmers but it's still not that easy even with a fixed holder and a 4 foot tyre bar....

Anything that makes fitting them easier would be good. Fitting that last set of racetecs was so bloody hard I thought I was going to tear the tyre!

Heat plus loads of tyre lube must work better!

Rim.... Lube..... Huh....

Yep, good advice for changing tyres and doing other things, more lube the better.

I have one of those mechanical lever-type changers and always find it a GENT when the weather's cold. Talc and lube help, as the actress said to the bishop.

Currently looking round for a proper pneumatic changer but can't justify the cost at the moment. Tyre warmer tip sounds good though; up to now I've just had them on the radiator but I can see that proper heat might help.

And no, you can NEVER have too many rim protectors ...

The zip tie thing works, but having done a tyre change on a chilly october evening and struggled to get the little fuckers off, I can't help but think that a nice soft tyre from a set of warmers is going to be lovely.

Also as well as the warmers, make yourself a wooden box about 6-7 inches high, or higher if you like, with a big hole in the top for the discs and or sprocket to drop into, saves taking them off, and having the wheel wobbling around while your struggling, just make sure the box is big enough for the wheel to sit on, and stick some thin foam on it to protect your nice shiny rims. If after all that you're so ham fisted you cant swop one over in about 10 minutes, take it to a tyre depot !!!!. OH, and get yourself a cheap bead breaker.

Also as well as the warmers, make yourself a wooden box about 6-7 inches high, or higher if you like, with a big hole in the top for the discs and or sprocket to drop into, saves taking them off, and having the wheel wobbling around while your struggling, just make sure the box is big enough for the wheel to sit on, and stick some thin foam on it to protect your nice shiny rims. If after all that you're so ham fisted you cant swop one over in about 10 minutes, take it to a tyre depot !!!!. OH, and get yourself a cheap bead breaker.

No need to even do that. I just use 2 bits of wood that are about 6-8cm square and about 3ft long. Keeps the discs off the floor while changing the front, and i just take the sprocket carrier & cush drive rubbers off the hub when changing the rear.

I've tried the zip tie method before and TBH, i just find it a bit of a pain in the arse compared to just popping the tyre on normally. It's a lot off faff making sure you've got enough zip ties placed at strategic points around the tyre to get it on, then cutting them and pulling them from under the tyre.

Normally i can just use my hands to get 3/4 of top edge of the tyre seated properly, only needing levers for the last little bit.

I'll be changing my tyres (well, the rear at least) in about 2 months or so and i'm half tempted to stick a little video up of the way i do it, just to show people how easy it is to do it yourself, and how little kit you need to do it.

I have a abba bread breaker and wheel balancer as well. I use an old tyre underneath the wheel as well to prevent the discs getting damaged.

A set of tyre warmers is the definitely next on the purchase list.

All the times before I've never had issues fitting the tyres but now the tyres are cold it was alot harder.

• 2 weeks later...

My tyre changer is a 14" steel car wheel with hose around the rim. On a 17" bike wheel, the spokes sit on the car rim, protected by the hose and 320mm discs sit perfectly in the dished side of the wheel. This also lifts the whole job off the floor about 4 inches, so you can put your weight on the tyre from above and push it off the rim downwards.

Archived