Which Oil?

Pugwash

Going to change the oil and filter on the R1 Track Bike before it get used in anger for the first time.

Bearing in mind it's only going to see tracks and a fair bit of abuse, looking for suggestions (sensible if possible) on which I'm best using.

Castrol Power 1 Racing 10/40 or 10/30 whichever your bike needs would be my suggestion, I use it all the time, expensive but as good as it gets, done 4000 trackday miles this year, pulled the top off the engine to check the valves and they are spot on. I change my oil every 3 or 4 TD's with the filter

If it's a track only bike I'd be looking less at brands etc and seeing what you can get in a bulk buy special and be doing it as regularly as you can afford with any half decent semi synth. Motul etc should be fine, just avoid the really nasty cheapo brands. Maybe have a word with Kayla about doing a bit of a deal on 20l or something?

All my bikes, my dads bikes and now my mates steelie have been run on your common or garden Castrol magnetic semi-synth car oil. Thats quite a lot of different bikes with various states of tune and clutches and not one issue due to oil.

Track bikes tend to get their oil changed with ridiculously regularity so any long term issues with an oil aren't a problem.

I did turn to castrols power 1 racing in the ZX6 as i was getting it just as cheap as the car stuff but we tried it in the old steelie and it smoked its tits off so went back to the car stuff.

Have a look at Halfords own brand oils i use it and had no problems also it come in 5 litre instead of 4 litre containers so if you change it regularly you end up with a free oil change every 4th go

Archived