Nissin Master Brake Cylinder For Suzuki Trackday Bike

fredator

Hello,

here´s the situation ... I have a GSXR1000 2004 trackday bike and bought it a couple of years ago. I am in the process of overhauling the brake system (which has been quite bad during last trackdays, it has got bite ... but needs a good pulling on the lever before delivering good brake power).

I bought a master cylinder seal and piston kit and when it arrived it had a diameter of 15,8 mm:s (this should be the correct size for a 1000 k4 ?!). But when I pulled the Nissin master brake cylinder (not a radial type) it had a piston size of only 14 mm:s. I have no idea from which bike the master cylinder came if it isn´t a standard item.

So, I have the following options:

a) buy an used master brake cylinder and use my bought overhaul kit

B) try to source from which bike the master cylinder is from (no idea ?) and buy an overhaul kit for this

c) buy another used master cylinder, maybe radial type i.e the one used on my 750 k4 ??? would this option work

d) buy a good master cylinder i.e brembo, accossato etc

Any opinions appriciated ? I wan´t a brake feel with good initial bite, but also some progressivity ... but prefer a very "stiff" feel in my brake lever. I brake with two fingers :-)

best regards,

peter

Well 14mm nissn mc's are pretty popular, will be failry simple job of getting a rebuild kit for one, non radial r1's and r6's had them for example.

To be honest though, if money is no issue and theres a specific feel at the lever that you're after I'd get an aftermarket mc with adjustable ratio so you can get it just right for you. I've got an ISR mc and its really good.

Yeah, been searching the net on master brake cylinders ... maybe it´s time to bite the bullet and buy an adjustable set ... think the accossato ones look quite good :-)

What about banjo bolts ... what thread size does the Brembo and Accossato use ? Would standard Suzuki bolt fit ?

The problem is that the previous owner thought, as do many people, that GSXRs come with too soft a master cylinder as stock. As an axial* master cylinder goes, R1/6's tend to be about as good as you're going to get, so long as they're on decent calipers. I'm not sure people rate the calipers on GSXRs that highly either, but they're not that bad, some swap them for those off R1s.

What about banjo bolts ... what thread size does the Brembo and Accossato use ? Would standard Suzuki bolt fit ?

Brembo stuff uses a 1mm pitch, and if you've got an mc off another jap bike chances are its 1.25mm, though I believe some suzi's used 1.0mm too. Doesn't really matter to be honest though, as they're cheap enough to buy compared to what you're about to lay down on a shiney new mc ;)

Okey ... found a good Accossato set on ebay 3-way adjustable ... put in a question if they will supply me with a banjo bolt and spare brake lever also ... it has a lever that folds, but you never know :-)

The banjo bolt will be about £3 for a stainless one, but I'd be surprised if a seller throws in a spare lever. Fingers crossed for you though.

Does anyone know for a fact what is better with the upgrade mastercylinder suzuki delivers ? I updated my k4 750 with new internals last summer and it feels and works very well. Is the upgraded version simply the same design , but will feel good and hard on the lever 4-5 years onwards. If therd isn't any significant advantages I don't know if I will be bothered changing my excisting one ?

I did similar things trying to sort my 1000 K3 brakes out, and in the end, bought a Brembo RCS, R1 Gold Spots and some 320mm K1/K2 Discs.

Job jobbed. :D

Okey ... as it is almost christmas I bought myself a Brembo 19-18/20 adjustable mastercylinder, new and complete with folding lever and banjo bolt. When I added upp the costs on different alternatives ... the Brembo - option made sense. Not that expensive and supposedly miles better then upgrading to some OEM mastercylinders.

Merry Christmas :-)

I did 320mm discs/calipers first as the originals just couldn't handle track use.

Then, the m/c couldn't make proper use of the discs/calipers.

:)

I had the Brembo RCS 19/18-20 MC on my K4 race bike. With braided hoses and std calipers and discs it was sensational! It was so good I bought another for my Honda SP1...brill feel and power

I had the Brembo RCS 19/18-20 MC on my K4 race bike. With braided hoses and std calipers and discs it was sensational! It was so good I bought another for my Honda SP1...brill feel and power

Seems I made a good choice then :xmas:

Archived