Electrickery Supplies...

Toneale

I am hoping the collective intelligence of the PB massive could point me in the right direction,

I need to tidy the wiring on my blade, (i.e get rid of the wires that have been soldered several times and the copious amounts of insulting tape) and need supplies, basically lots of wire, shrink wrap and I would also like to upgrade the connectors.

Q1. Any particular suppliers for the wire and shrink wrap?

Q2. Some recommendations for decent waterproof connectors please?

And lastly can someone recommend me a decent soldering iron and solder?

Ladies, gentlemen and Greengoatcatcher the floor is yours.

Ta

Vehicle Wiring Products supply most things.

I use a crimping ratchet tool rather than soldering.

Its easier to just replace the loom and usually doesn't cost much more either

maplins do spools of wire, I use a wee gas soldering iron I got from aldi, it even has an attachment for shrinking your wrap..which you can also buy from Maplins... full circle there eh.. :lol:

For sheathing (fnaar) use mesh, looks far more professional - I think RS Components do it but at present their site is down for maintenance so can't look.

For connectors get hold of these:

http://www.wurth.co.uk/data/productdocuments/030085.pdf

They come in a large case of varying sizes with all the pins and seals you'll ever need. I've used them all over my CBR and found them pretty reliable.

With connectors it depends on your budget really. You can really go to town, but for a decent quality job for not a lot of money you can't go wrong with the Wurth connectors - You can also get rubber boots for them so no need for copious amounts of tape to terminate them, but I'm not at my laptop right now so I don't have the bookmark, I'll post it in the morning. Been meaning to get some of the boots myself, well reminded.

If you want to have something a little more "race blingy" look up Binder connectors - fairly priced too, but not sure what wires you're dealing with so may not be suitable.

If it helps, vehicle wiring products sell those connectors. They might not be badged as Wurth, but they do have them. I've used them for providing a 12v feed to the sat nav on the bike.

I wouldn't solder anything if I could avoid it , solder is brittle , the best bet is crimping , cable stays flexible .

Not everything gives the luxury of crimping unfortunately when it comes to really thin gauge work. Soldering done properly with adhesive heatshrink to support the joint should be fine.

Thanks for the sage advice chaps.

Anyone have an opinion on a decent soldering iron and solder?

I went for the cheapest iron that maplins had that was heat adjustable but a decent power. That way you can get a good bit of temperature to do thicker cable but don't melt the fuck out of the finer stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived