Regulator Rectifiers

cagimaha

I've recently fitted an uprated alternator to my bike, the original was shot so it seemed a good idea to get an uprated aftermarket one for half the price of an OEM replacement. I've now read though that this should only be used in conjunction with an uprated reg/rec as well... If I use a standard reg/rec are many nuns and kittens going to die? Is the reg/rec just going to get hotter? Or is it going to kill it?

Answers on a postcard please to:

F.A.O. The Prince of Darkness

Lucas Electrics

Bonneville Way

Meriden

West Midlands

UK

I'd have thought that the reg rec is going to only have the same draw on it and hence should be OK. That's assuming that the electrics weren't trying to draw more than the reg rec is capable of but the charging circuit was maxed out, if you see what I mean.

Of course, I'm no expert...

I'm well aware of their mortality rate, I just wanted to know if the extra ju-ju coming from my alternator was going to increase it! I suspect the vibrations may be contributing to their demise as well...

Thanks for the suggestions, I couldn't find a 12v single phase reg/rec on the electrex website but I'll give them a call on Monday.

Well rather than waiting for Monday and calling them I fitted the old reg/rec and took it out for a spin. No nuns or kittens were harmed and all is well in the world.

The load on reg depends of how much the loom uses not how much alternator gives. It gives only as much as loom takes. Uprated means it can give more under incerased load.

Good to know! Makes me a little more comfortable having my arse a couple of inches above a little battery which might explode if it gets too much juice...

try giving electrex a ring, can probably sell you a new one if needed as well

Another plus for electric helped out and cheaper than Westcoast windings who are the road from me.

Archived