Welding Fuel Tank?

hondabri

honda 954 fireblade, fuel pump fixed to underside of tank with halve a dozen studs which are part of the fuel tank, one of these has sheared off causing fuel pump to leak can said stud be welded back on or is welding fuel tanks a big no no? KABOOM!!! if so are there any other solutions to the problem? will post pics when i get a chance...............

Weld it at arms length. It'll be fine.*

* other advice available.

Definitely squint, you don't want to get Arc eye.

When I was doing some welding on a gas cylinder I emptied it, filled it with water, then hid behind the wheelie bin wearing a bobble hat and face shield as I dropped a burning rag onto it using a broomstick to put some distance between us.

bomb-squad-prank.jpg

I once had to weld up a 100 ltr foam filled aluminium tank form a race car in a hurry it was only an inch long split, but the flames and small explosions that came out of the filler neck were distracting. I didn't die though.

I read about a Competitor on the Peking to Paris veteran car rally a few year back, who damaged the bottom of their 200ltr tank not long after they'd filled it to cross the Gobi desert.

They managed to find a guy with a welder in a small village. Unfortunately they had nothing to decant the remaining 180ltrs of fuel into. Undeterred the Chinese welder, simply used the logic that if the they set light to the filler neck, the bottom of the tank wouldn't catch fire whilst it was being welded. It worked too. :huh:

I have to weld a tank on the old GSXR,, im just going to shove a blow torch in it and the weld straight away. i think its the fumes you have to be concerned about. (IMO)

i have also see Exhaust gasses being used while welding,, or flush with water,,, Fill with water (cant see how that's any good) and also purge with argon.

heres a vid of using a blow torch for your viewing pleasure.

If you've giving it to Si, rinse it with water and a little washing up liquid. This is the time honoured Phase One method of putting the welder off the scent.

Seems to work, never lost a welder. :biggrinvk4:

Archived