Could This Replace Wiring Looms?

Big_Kingy

That is pretty cool. Imagine the weight savings for replacing your entire wiring loom, plus it would almost put an end to electronic faults due to old broken wires/connectors (as long as the ink doesn't get rubbed off!). Nice find.

Could one draw logical circuits too?Then one could draw out a CPU.Revolution is here! (if you have a large enough surface :P )

Now I haven't the foggiest when it comes to electrickery but saw a vid on a new conductor ink which is being released early next year. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/electroninks/circuit-scribe-draw-circuits-instantly Could this be used on a bike? Slap on a bit of masking tape along the frame then draw your wire?

Back them, try it, and put it on your bike! The current limit of 175mA might be a problem. What if it gets wet?

Wouldnt it just be a case of laminating it to protect from wet or damp damage?.

Or you could wrap it in a piece of colour-coded plastic. Something that'd resist chaffing, be waterproof, is readily available for buttons, can be cut to length and has a wide range of connectors to fit on the end. You'd probably also want it to be available in different gauges so you can carry different current loads. Wound copper strands might be best?

Oh.....

That's be ordinary wire then.....

Its always surprised me seeing as we already use circuits as small as we do on the likes of microchips that bikes still have the vast amount of wiring that they do...

It's the current draw that's the problem.

Once they get the hang of mass market low cost LED lights they could reduce the wiring diameter .

Its always surprised me seeing as we already use circuits as small as we do on the likes of microchips that bikes still have the vast amount of wiring that they do...

Why?

You still have to get the current to each end of the bike, so wires are needed. Until Fly-by-Wireless tech becomes cheaper than wires then it will always be like that. Even then, you still need to provide power to lights sensors and so on.

Whatever the answer is, drawing on a piece of paper and then exposing it to rain, wind, road salt and so on, isn't it.

Vanwinkle, That's basically the principle a Canbus system you're describing.

The link in the OP is very clever, as a learning aid and for basic proto type stuff, but to mass produce it you would have to print it on to boards or ribbons, and that will Never take off.... ;)

Pcb - printed circuit board.

They already do this(print circuits), but they use multiple layers in most mass produced applications, hence one of the reasons everything is plug and play and you can't fix the washing machine any more.

But you still need wires to get the power where you need it.

Edited for poor spelling.

Yes i know about pubs. But dont those need solid unflexible boards to be mounted on, this system is an air drying ink which means any substrate can now carry a circuit board...just think, electric wall paper that could be your telly..

I did say vast amount..surely the amount of wiring could be reduced.

No offence intended, but I guess that you are coming from the position of someone that knows next to nothing about wiring? When you know very little about a subject then it's always easier to sat "surely" and "it's common sense". If it was easy and cheap then I am sure that the factories wouldn't be piling in cable into their looms just for the hell of it?

No offence intended, but I guess that you are coming from the position of someone that knows next to nothing about wiring? When you know very little about a subject then it's always easier to sat "surely" and "it's common sense". If it was easy and cheap then I am sure that the factories wouldn't be piling in cable into their looms just for the hell of it?

None taken and yes you are indeed correct, but that doesnt have to stop me from asking questions tho does it?.and may be because i know little or nothing about wiring than its easier for someone to see possibilities of what can be instead of what cant be done.. I can see loads of applications for that there printed circuit thing..

None taken and yes you are indeed correct, but that doesnt have to stop me from asking questions tho does it?

Of course not. The old adage applies "there's no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb answers"

.and may be because i know little or nothing about wiring than its easier for someone to see possibilities of what can be instead of what cant be done..

Highly unlikely. What you are describing is pseudo-certainty.

Its also why the vast majority of things are built/designed/made to work by people that know what they are doing. It's fairly rare that some guy just wanders into a subject, walks up to a problem and goes "a-ha", flicks a switch and suddenly the problem is solved. It's also why there are things called apprenticeships and universities.

Of course not. The old adage applies "there's no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb answers"

Highly unlikely. What you are describing is pseudo-certainty.

Its also why the vast majority of things are built/designed/made to work by people that know what they are doing. It's fairly rare that some guy just wanders into a subject, walks up to a problem and goes "a-ha", flicks a switch and suddenly the problem is solved. It's also why there are things called apprenticeships and universities.

..no, no, I didn't say solve problems which if i'm not mistaken is a different thing all together. all Im saying is, I can see the possible applications in that there thing..

Mr Vanwinkle, Apologies I was being a little tongue in check with my previous replies.

Printed circuits have existed for some time, both on solid and flexible substrates.

Canbus is a system of wiring used mostly on modern cars, but finding it's way on to bikes, most notably BMWs. It reduces the number of wires, buy doing away with all the conventional circuits, and replacing them with one digital circuit for every electrical system.

The down side is that every component needs it's own little decoder to understand which of the signals are telling it to turn on or off.

Mr Vanwinkle, Apologies I was being a little tongue in check with my previous replies.

Printed circuits have existed for some time, both on solid and flexible substrates.

Canbus is a system of wiring used mostly on modern cars, but finding it's way on to bikes, most notably BMWs. It reduces the number of wires, buy doing away with all the conventional circuits, and replacing them with one digital circuit for every electrical system.

The down side is that every component needs it's own little decoder to understand which of the signals are telling it to turn on or off.

Ah, thanks for that. so are these digital circuits unreliable and the pcu is problematic too?.

Ah, thanks for that. so are these digital circuits unreliable and the pcu is problematic too?.

No they're very reliable, but when they do go wrong they are tricky to fault find and expensive to repair

No they're very reliable, but when they do go wrong they are tricky to fault find and expensive to repair

And can be confused by changing rear light bulbs to LEDs !

Archived