Talk To Me Of Aluminininium

kaighn80

Particularly grades that can be easily machined and then welded to a Honda cbr1000rr swing arm, I'd prefer something that wasn't priced up there with unobtainium but I only need about 6 inches (said the actress to the bishop) so that's not too much of a restricting factor.

If you'd be so kind....

Yarp. 5083, can't remember what rod you need of top of me head.

It's the closest grade to what Honda would of used, and doesn't need heat treating post weld.

found this from Dave Pearce

Although the welds on this chassis are beautiful I think it's important to be precise on the exact
filler material. there are a lot of enthusiastic novice welders out there who in the interests of safety
need to know.

For what it is worth, this is what I use.

Sorry if this is British spec

On chrome moly tube filler rod ER70S-2 NEVER stainless

6082 Alu 4043

5083 Alu 5356

I use a Lanthanated (Blue Tip)Tungsten Electrode for all materials

A Gas Lens is used whenever possible.

What others choose is up to them

If you want to be shit hot then 5183 rod is the way to go for 5083. However most welders are usually too lazy to buy specific rods for each job and will only carry 4043 and 5356. Of these two 5356 is perfectly acceptable and the one to use as long as not seeing elevated temperatures of about 70deg C.

What sort of chunk of metal do you need? A bit if sheet or some bar stock for machining?

Ill need flat sheet material and bar stock, seeing mr porter about the bar stock tonight, but I've had to mod the swinger to miss the r1 shock absorber I'm planning on fitting, by mod obviously I mean cut the shit out of it.

found this from Dave Pearce

Although the welds on this chassis are beautiful I think it's important to be precise on the exact

filler material. there are a lot of enthusiastic novice welders out there who in the interests of safety

need to know.

For what it is worth, this is what I use.

Sorry if this is British spec

On chrome moly tube filler rod ER70S-2 NEVER stainless

6082 Alu 4043

5083 Alu 5356

I use a Lanthanated (Blue Tip)Tungsten Electrode for all materials

A Gas Lens is used whenever possible.

What others choose is up to them

Where is this quoted from Jamie? Pitlane.biz?

.... Of these two 5356 is perfectly acceptable and the one to use as long as not seeing elevated temperatures of about 70deg C.

um, why?

Rate of expansion? Decrease in strength? Nora clue but other wiser people than me said it therefore I will listen.

Spoke to my supplier and they don't seem to be able to get 5083 in bar stock?!? Any ideas

um, why?

Because the manufacturers say so. It's because of the mag content in 5356. It's no good for 70 deg or above. I make a lot of sumps and use 4043 on them for this reason.

Well, I did a little digging, and apparently thats true. However, we carry a fair amount of different rods in the stock room, and the most common rods we use are:-

5356 - for welding pretty much everything. 5251 sheet, 6082 sheet and bar, 6061 bar, and 6082 to 5251. this includes dry sump tanks that regularly see 70+ degrees, radiators which can see 120degrees, heat exchangers that can similarly see 100+ degrees. as well as swirl pots, fuel tanks, catch tanks etc which stay cod.

4043 - 5% silicon, this calms down a dirty weld pool. Generally used for repairing castings, or sometimes for 6082 assemblies that need 'telling' post welding. 4043 doesn't mind being stretched a bit, so its good also for a strong tack, that needs subtle adjustment before welding proper.

1050 - used to join 1050 and/or 1200. nicest rod to weld with, leaves a very shiny bead.

This is from my limited 8 years experience, but draws from my colleagues experience of 15 and 26 years.

Archived