Gsxr750K1 Clutch Drag.

Rick448

Hi,

My GSXR750K1 suffers from clutch drag which makes it difficult to engage neutral from a standstill and I can feel it slightly when holding the bike in first at junctions etc. If on a stand the wheel moves much faster than my other bike although I do realise there is a slight drag on all bikes.

I have made sure there is not too much oil in and it is the correct grade. As I am looking to change the oil in the new year I am wondering whether to change the clutch plates at the same time. Is this likely to be the cause? And is it an easy job?

Cheers all.

Firstly..Is the clutch adjusted properly? You should have 10-15mm of free play at the clutch lever.

Just to check the right oil in your bike should be 10/40 for your model, too heavy oil will cause drag.(Plates will stick together) Again old engine oil won't lube the plates properly and cause similar issue.

Then i would be looking at clutch plates/Basket for wear.I don't have the specs on my pc for the plate thickness service limit,but they might also be contaminated from past oil changes or just worn.

£60-£100+ for new plates.. New Springs £10

If i was keeping the bike id change plates/spring's and oil + filter.

Cheers,

It has 10/40 oil in it and it has only done 1000 miles since the change. This was a replacement engine which I fitted after the gearbox went on the original so I don't know much about the history hence changing the oil and filter once fitted. I'm guessing the damage could have already been done although the motor runs great and I've had no problems so far.

As I'm going to change the oil and filter again I guess I may as well do the clutch plates / springs at the same time. Are the EBC kits good or should I go OEM?

There is a clutch adjuster down at the front sprocket cover that often causes problems such as this when not set correctly.

Turn the free play adjuster up at the lever all the way in then remove the cover to gain access to the adjuster down by the front sprocket.

Slacken the locknut and turn the centre adjuster out a few turns, then back in until you feel resistance on it. Back it out a quarter of a turn and tighten the locknut, making sure the centre adjuster doesn't turn back in with it.

Set the lever free play adjuster (and/or the cable adjuster down on top of the front sprocket cover) until there's 10-15mm (I actually prefer less but this is what Suzuki state) free play.

If that doersn't help, you could try removing the clutch friction plates in the engine you have just put in and soaking them overnight in clean fresh engine oil as it may have been sat for some time and the plates dried out.

If that still doesn't help, new clutch pack/springs time.

EBC kits are fine by the way.

Archived