Drill And Rivnut In Frame

phildawson8270

I am hoping for a bit of assistance, either to tell me I'm stupid, or that I am good to go.

I know that drilling frames is a bit of a taboo, and I am aware of the risks. However, I am unsure on the severity of these risks, and the possibility of them occuring.

This information is for my Formula400 build. Whilst the nose fairing is hung off my bracket turned up by Kayla, and the lower belly pan brackets are easy enough to sort out as I can use existing mounts on the engine cradle.

The issue is with the side fairings. The mounting holes in the fairing line up directly to my frame.

I am planning on drilling and putting an M8 rivnut in the frame, which will be around a 10mm hole, whilst I believe that once the rivnut is fitted and there is a bolt in there, that will reduce the stress from the drilled hole, however, how concerned should I be with stress fractures appearing from the location of drilling? The distance between the fairing and the frame is very close, pretty much being able to bolt straight in to the frame with maybe a 12mm to 15mm spacer minimum, and with non-folding pegs, I don't think the frame would hit the floor in most crashes.

The pencil in the following photo is pointing to the area I intend to drill and rivnut.

544148_10153453041655324_1277179395_n.jpg

It is, as you can see on a flat, however, it is right before a bend in the frame.

For information: Suzuki already have 4 rivnuts in the frame near the head stock, 2 for original fairing mounts, and 2 for front subframe.

Thanks guys

I drilled a little 4 or 5mm hole in the side of the frame on the srad and I didn't die.

Rivnut there will be fine, take your time drilling the hole, and make sure you deburr it nicely.

Also to keep the temperature down use some form of oil as a coolant, I know with stainless and other non ferrous material you should not bit if your worried about heat this should help.

Archived