Guiness-Like Foam In My Oil...

Mahatma

Hi.Made the mistake of putting in an unknown motoroil when out riding and found I was low on oil.Now the inside of my engine (as far as I can see from the fillercap to opening the starterclutch) there is a worrying amount of foam that looks eerily like the foam ontop of guiness stout.Have removed what I can from those places+the oil,and am gonna dissmantle the clutch and put in new plates and clean up there during winter.My question is:Anyone know what caused that?Just wrong oil?It was 20w-50 mineral oil,but have a feeling it's made for cars.The bike feels normal though,so am not overly concerned,but it's weird.

lol.Have allready removed the filthy stuff,and put in proved goodness.Just wondering what the hell it is?

Thanks for replies though :)

Did it have a Shamrock in the foam?

No,but on a good day,someone may have seen a jesus in there...

Replace filter too.

Will do that when I take it out next year.Gonna force-ride it through next week and put it in storage.Thanks for tip though.

Could condensation be the culprit?

Isn't that a sign of coolant mixing with the oil?

sorry,forgot to say that it's an ancient cb 900 custom with no coolant in sight.But probably good guess if there were coolant anywhere near:)

I have a constant condensation problem on my ZZR600. Commute is only about 10 mins and it just doesn't git hot enough. It got that bad last year my clutch plates had stuck together after a 10 day lay up.

Solved it by taking a longer way home when the mood took.

Same as discosef, short rides in colder weather lead to the sludge forming, after taking it for a run leave the oil cap off for a few minutes to let any condensation evaporate out. I always expect an oil change after winter due to short commute

you say it was mineral oil, was the exisitng oil synthetic, or semi-synthetic?

Do NOT mix these, they react and can turn to gloop*. I've seen lift gearboxes fucked by this, god knows what would happen to an engine. Flush your engine out thoroughly with fresh oil, run it up to temp, drop it out and replace the oil and filter yet again.

*technical term for fucked oil

you say it was mineral oil, was the exisitng oil synthetic, or semi-synthetic?

Do NOT mix these, they react and can turn to gloop*. I've seen lift gearboxes fucked by this, god knows what would happen to an engine. Flush your engine out thoroughly with fresh oil, run it up to temp, drop it out and replace the oil and filter yet again.

*technical term for fucked oil

No,they were both mineral oil.Have a feeling it's either an engine oil meant for cars with additives unsuited for bikes,or just condensation sludge as mentioned earlier.

Have bought new oil (again,cheap but good) and gonna replace it plus filter before storing it,and gonna change clutch plates come next year.That mention of ruined gearbox would freak me out if it weren't for the fact that the engine of the cb 900 early 80's are more or less bomb proof :P

Thanks for replies.Will write down a hundred times not to buy suspicious oil in the future ;)

Edit:Reason I found this strange is that it didn't happen last year when I also ran it well into low temperatures...

No,they were both mineral oil.Have a feeling it's either an engine oil meant for cars with additives unsuited for bikes,or just condensation sludge as mentioned earlier.

Have bought new oil (again,cheap but good) and gonna replace it plus filter before storing it,and gonna change clutch plates come next year.That mention of ruined gearbox would freak me out if it weren't for the fact that the engine of the cb 900 early 80's are more or less bomb proof :P

Thanks for replies.Will write down a hundred times not to buy suspicious oil in the future ;)

Edit:Reason I found this strange is that it didn't happen last year when I also ran it well into low temperatures...

Running cheap oil in an emergancy is always bettter than running it short of oil, but changeing it out & fitting a clean filter at the first opertunity should be a priority, always try to stick with the same stuff you put in - new oil & filter are much cheaper than a new engine.

Running cheap oil in an emergancy is always bettter than running it short of oil, but changeing it out & fitting a clean filter at the first opertunity should be a priority, always try to stick with the same stuff you put in - new oil & filter are much cheaper than a new engine.

Reading you loud and clear good sir :)

Just had a thought: Have you tried drinking any, just to make sure it's not Guinness?

If you get condensation in the oil run the bike up and take the oil filler cap off for a little while. Be aware oil will come out a bit so put something to catch it. The hot water vapour will evaporate a bit.

Check the oil breather pipe and filter are clean the scum can block them.

Just had a thought: Have you tried drinking any, just to make sure it's not Guinness?

You're free to try anytime ;)

Did you put Mr Matey in by accident?

I made the same mistake with my old Ducati, it was blowing bubbles out of the crankcase breather for weeks :rock:

Did you put Mr Matey in by accident?

I made the same mistake with my old Ducati, it was blowing bubbles out of the crankcase breather for weeks :rock:

If by mr Matey you mean the oil I filled it up with,then yes and no.Yes,I knew that it might not be the best,but no I took a chance so it wasn't an accident (completely).

If you didn't mean that,then I could need a better translator than I currently have...

No, you've not filled it with Matey, it's a childs bubble bath that's probably not made it as far as the other side of the North Sea just yet.

5546848169_74c43f3d93_z.jpg

No, you've not filled it with Matey, it's a childs bubble bath that's probably not made it as far as the other side of the North Sea just yet.

5546848169_74c43f3d93_z.jpg

Now,that would be interesting to mix in with engine oil.

Archived