R1 Meta Alarm Removal

couchcommando

The new to me 2003 R1 has a meta alarm and I want it removing, I've took the plug from the alarm and exposed where the alarm look joins the bike loom just above the battery, I haven't disconnected anything yet but all the alarm cores are black and the bike ones are also black with one two or three gold bands, I thought it might make sense where they had been cut but the black/gold wires don't appear to be a length to go anywhere if cut from the meta loom

Any ideas ?

Whoa there again Nelly...

That is likely a 'factory fitted' alarm, and is a total, total bitch to remove all traces of. I know 'cos I've done it, took me hours stripping the loom.

If you just want the alarm removing, then there's plenty of peeps about (I use a guy near me for pulling alarms off bikes, he's got all the gear to plug in and tell him what circuits to rejoin at the alarm end and it takes him minutes) or I believe ronenige has the info on how to do it yourself. I would imagine it'd leave the wiring in place, unlike mine where I removed all traces, trying to save as much weight as possible.

Behold the wiring diagram for what you most probably have. The alarm is bottom left.

UKWIRINGDIAGRAM02-03R1_zps938155a9.jpg

Cheers mark that's the diagram I found on line, out of the 20 cores coming out the alarm plug only 8 were doing something....and yeah it is a factory fit alarm.

One went to the starter switch and starter relay so that got the bike turning over when they were joined, another went to the ecu and taped in the loom unused was another cable that looked like it had been used, this I connected to the ecu and that let the bike fire up and run. The rest of the cores were indicators and indicator relay, along with a micro switch on the seat.

I only found all these cores after completely stripping the loom of tape.

All taped up and I hope all is correct, ridden up and down the street and all seems well.....:)

Archived