Is A Heavier Weight Oil Safe To Use?

SAB

Are there any realistic mechanical dangers to running a heavier weight oil than what the manual calls for?

I know...I know...not another one of THOSE threads, FFS.

Bike in question: 2012 Aprilia RSV4 APRC

Manual calls for 5w-40

Would running a heavier weight oil (Amsoil 20w-50 or Motul 15W-50) present any real mechanical issues with the later (2011 onwards) APRC engines?

I've been happily running Amsoil 20W-50 in my 05 R1 for years without issue. The manual even lists it as an acceptable weight in a given operating temperature range.

I have little concern for what oil will yield me the most power. A few guys over on the Ape forum suggested that the reason Ape switched from 15w-50 in the 09-10 RSV4's to 5w-40 in the 11-13's was to squeeze out a couple of more ponies in the ever important (ahem) mag dyno shootouts.

My main priority is engine protection. So, would it be safe to run the oil I've grown accustomed to using in the R1 (20w-50) in the '12 RSV4?

Thanks in advance.

Wouldn't a heavier weight oil yield less HP?

I would stick with 5w-40 or 10w-40 quality oil if I were you.Especially now it's getting colder,

Heavier weight oil will put more strain on the oil pump drive, especially if the clearances are set for 5/40w.

Don't see any gain in using 15/40. As Kitparts, says it's the valves and valve train that suffer on these, the exhaust valves in particular suffer when used with aftermarket exhausts and the wrong engine map.

If it can cope with 40 at temp, then surely it can cope with 15 when cold?

A 40 weight oil at temp is stupidly thin in comparison to a 15 weight oil when cold, and it's probably a good deal thinner than a cold 5 weight oil too. If you're fucking about with oils and wanting to put something thicker in there for protection when it's hot, I'd still try and match the cold number, if anything go lower rather than heavier.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

I guess I was a bit confused as to why Ape would go from 15w-50 to 5w-40.

If they switched because they wanted to stay relevant in the dyno shootouts at the cost of engine protection, then I wanted to run the heavier oil. I could care less about losing a few ponies.

Mille that was good info. I googled it a bit and you're spot on. Thanks, Learned something.

^ Why not? It's listed as an acceptable weight in the owner's manual. She's been lovely during the 7k miles I've put on her.

Is it listed as an acceptable weight for the climate in which you are using it though?

Yes. Page 8.1 of the manual lists 20w-40 for climate operating temps between 5 and 45 degrees Celsius.

Is that another cock up in the manual then like the 72ft lbs of torque for the rear sprocket nuts mistake?

Surely she won't blow herself to the moon over that difference? Yamalube is the only offering I've seen over here in 20w-40.

Archived