3Mm Aluminium For Fairing Brackets

phildawson8270

As the title says.

After next week, I am off work all week so I am going to get the fairing fitted.

I need the material to be workable with hammer and vice, but strong enough to support the fairing.

I was thinking 3mm aluminium, if not, what thickness should I grab a sheet of?

3mm NS4/5241 will be fine and easy to work.

Yes 1050 is pure aluminium, and very soft. NS4 should be easy enough to source.

Yep typo sorry.

Why not use a thinner gauge like 1.5mm but a channel or angle section which is gets its strength from its shape. You can get it at Leyland SDM too

I'd agree, 3 mm is a bit on the thick side. It'll be tough to bend which presumably, you'll need to for fairing brackets. Channels are even harder to bend. 2 mm 6082-T6 is what I use. Anneal it with a blow torch before bending. Plenty of strength, readily available.

I have got some of the 3mm 5251 on the way. If I have trouble, then I will try out 2mm 6082.

Don't really think it's worth the hassle with channels, far too much effort and work for 4 fairing brackets.

5251 is good stuff but really tough to cold form (bend). And, you can't anneal it. 6082 can be annealed pretty easily, but you have to bend it right away. 2 mm can be cold formed even without annealing unless you need tight, sharp bend, in which case it will tear.

Archived