Installing Starter Clutch On My Cb900C

Mahatma

Hi.Having problems with my starter,and bought a new cog with starter clutch assembly.The ignition is on the end of the rod it's connected to and am abit uncertain if I'll mess up the timing removing and installing the clutch.How should I do this?Make a mark on the bolt and rod to mark the excact position of the ignition piece above the starter clutch,or will it fit only one way?

Also need to drain the oil in order to install it.Is it super dangerous to run the engine without oil for about 2-3 seconds to check if ignition is spot on before reassembling?Have a gasket,and am concerned about ruining it if I need to take the cover off again...Maybe install the cover with just gasketsealant and make a test run before reopening it and sticking on the gasket.

Any suggestions would be very welcome as I am no mechanic.Thanks in advance :)

sounds like the sprag clutch to me, and the generator is a wet case so it holds oil (but shouldn't leak it)

Ha, i told you so! it has been thirty years since i have worked on one of those twin cam Hondas but i am sure the advance retard is pegged so you can't fuck up the timing

ok,fresh out of gold stars,so a congratulations have to do.You're right about it being pegged,or atleast marked .Let's hope it is easy to align/spot.

Thanks for reply :)

Whatever you do, DO NOT run it without any oil in. If you're worried about re-using the gasket then smear some grease on it before assembly. Then it will come apart again no problem.

Whatever you do, DO NOT run it without any oil in. If you're worried about re-using the gasket then smear some grease on it before assembly. Then it will come apart again no problem.

Thanks.When I wrote that it kind of lepat out of the screen how wrong that is.Will give that a try.

Ha, i told you so! it has been thirty years since i have worked on one of those twin cam Hondas but i am sure the advance retard is pegged so you can't fuck up the timing

You were right.Installed it today,and it was a physical peg to make it idiot proof :D

Hurrah! the old brain still works :biggrinvk4: the only other thing i remember about the early twincam hondas is that they eat alternator rotors and stators and make sure the tacho cable retaining screw has plenty of anti seize grease on it because you can only buy a complete cylinder head if the cam cap that has the tacho drive gets broken by ham fistedness

Archived