Engine For A Supermono Project

drunkn munky

After a random discussion with a mate about wanting to build a supermono ive acquired a base for the project in the form of a RGV vj21 frame. Ive been offered a crf450 engine and running gear but would 53bhp be enough? Ive not looked into details as yet but in my head I had plans for one of the 600/650 thumpers to power the bike.

There isnt really anywhere to race it unless you go to Europe. So I guess the question is is 54bhp enough for what? The crf lumps are much lighter than the big lumps. Someone won the brit championship with a yz450 motor in an rs125 based tigcraft but it only weighed 85kg. Tbh if you wanted to win a euro you would prolly need a bespoke chassis and about 75 min hp probably more.

As a bit of a road toy I reckon it would be quite good. The bits are cheap at least.

Ive no plans to race its just to do a few trackdays on but its a bit pointless if a stock RGV would leave it for dead down the straights. 85kg! wow i can't see me getting anywhere near to that.

The motor in question is an 05 so carb'd rather than the later FI models

If it's any help my Yamaha 660 motor was dynoed at 43rwbhp stock, and is a fairly weighty lump.

My regular trackday buddy rides an NC30, and they're actually fairly well matched as although the mono doesn't make a lot of power it makes it all the time.

That's at Brands Indy though, and most bikes (including SV650s) still clear off down both straights!

Well going by what you've said there dave then 53bhp should be plenty, i have a NC35 and FZR400 so something that would be roughly matched to them is what im after but lighter, brands is my local track too :biggrinvk4:

Archived