Sssw Hub That Weighs Less Than A Small Family Hatchback - What Are My Options

Toneale

Okay boys and girls,

As the title suggests I have a little Bros project on the go and I'm looking at ways to lighten the rear hub assembly.

So far as my research has led me to believe that I have 2 options;

1) (Cheap option) swap rear end for a standard double sided swing arm off say a Hornet, minimal cost minimal modification required looks shite but purposeful.

or

2) Expensive option have a new rear hub made up out of unobtanium at the cost of several appendages.

My question: is there anything I can do that isn't going to leave me with less appendages than I currently have, (at the mo I have the full set), that will achieve the desired result?

Over to the oracle that is the PB massive......... :thumbsup:

Id go for a standard arm and wheel unless endurance racing. Yes it'd look not quite as cool, but motogp bike arms don't exactly make the bikes look shite do they.

With a spacer you can fit a nc30 hub carrier and lose a lot of weight. Read through the team north cunt650 thread to find out how.

There isn't much weight difference between a normal swingarm and the single sider. It just appears heavier because you've got the brake and sprocket attached to the swingarm whereas on a normal swingarm these are on the wheel.

I can't remember the exact details as it was a few years ago now. We flipped the sprocket carrier and I think it used the standard bros hub but Trigger did all the machining, some reading for you

http://pbmagforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=23

The nc35 sprocket carrier is the same as the nc30, I think the hub is as well. NC35 wheels look good but are expensive, vfr750 5-spoke wheels are cheap if you want a wider rim.

The other thing is that if you're going to put a normal dual sided swingarm in there, you're going to have to find one where the shock's not quite in the centre (or a wonky top mount), or get a swingarms that's too wide and then machine some off the one edge: the bros shock isn't quite in the middle as per 99% of monoshocks.

From what I recall, the nc30 carrier thing saved us just over 1KG, which is nice, plus the bros swingarm arrangement, as stock, will be a bit lighter than most other single siders because it's not got a rising rate linkage (which has to add another 500g at least doesn't it?), which in turn means the shock itself has to be fairly firm in comparison to many.

I can't remember the exact details as it was a few years ago now. We flipped the sprocket carrier and I think it used the standard bros hub but Trigger did all the machining, some reading for you

http://pbmagforum.co...hp?showtopic=23

The nc35 sprocket carrier is the same as the nc30, I think the hub is as well. NC35 wheels look good but are expensive, vfr750 5-spoke wheels are cheap if you want a wider rim.

The plan at the moment is to use an NC35 rear wheel I would like some magnesium 3 spoke Dymags which they do to fit an NC (and I also have an NC35). so if the hub is a straight swap (with some bespoke spacers etc) then that's probably the way I'll go.

The other thing is that if you're going to put a normal dual sided swingarm in there, you're going to have to find one where the shock's not quite in the centre (or a wonky top mount), or get a swingarms that's too wide and then machine some off the one edge: the bros shock isn't quite in the middle as per 99% of monoshocks.

From what I recall, the nc30 carrier thing saved us just over 1KG, which is nice, plus the bros swingarm arrangement, as stock, will be a bit lighter than most other single siders because it's not got a rising rate linkage (which has to add another 500g at least doesn't it?), which in turn means the shock itself has to be fairly firm in comparison to many.

I suspect the weight saving came from the cush drive which weighs in at a portly 1 and a bit kg's overall the hub, eccentric and disc weigh in at nearly 6 kg!

I did go as far as purchasing a Hornet swing arm which is only 10mm wider than the bros arm and its also not rising rate either I just think it'll look gash.

Fit nc30 rear hub then go here

http://www.400greybi...hp?f=22&t=44692

He's also doing ally fuel cells with grp dummy tanks, hrc air boxes and lots of other bespoke kit

I certainly will have a look into a ally tank and grp cover cheers :thumbsup:

Archived