Brake Questions: Caliper Bolts & Master Cylinders

lorenzo

I've got some forks off an 09/10 ZX6R, but no brakes. Am I right in thinking the bolt spacing will allow about 99% of radial calipers from japanese bikes on there? The actual thickness of the bolts (M10?), is this the same across the board too? Are there any calipers I should try for and any I should avoid (bearing in mind I'm a skinflint and I'm just looking at OE calipers off other bikes, rather than bling brembos etc)? I'm not sure if I want ones with individual pads, is there any real difference between 4 & 2 pad calipers, other than the price when I come to stick new pads in?

The other thing is master cylinders: This is going to go on a nekkid bike so I'm after, ideally, a master cylinder which has not only got the reservoir built in, just for neatness really, but also has one of those threaded boss bits so I can stick a mirror on there too. Any suggestions as to what'll go well with which calipers above?

All the jap 4 pot radials will fir as they are all 108mm spacing with a 22.5mm offset, brembos from duc/aprilias will not as they are 100mm spacing, the best japs one (in my opinion) are the ones from Yamaha R1/6's as they are one piece and don't flex

Theres nowt wrong with the standard 6r calipers. My bikes brakes are fantastic. Shame you wouldnt use the radial MC as thats a good bit of kit too.

I'm sure the stock ones are fine, it's just that I've only bought the forks, not the calipers as well. That said, I've struck up a bit of a bargain deal on a set of calipers off a zx10r, which although they don't have a great reputation for super sharp braking, should be plenty good enough with a decent master cylinder.

And talking of which, I can find plenty of M/C's with the reservoir built in that are normally mounted, but none that are radial. Do they even do such a thing?

a master cylinder which has not only got the reservoir built in, just for neatness really,

Ducati's and possibly MV's used them

Maybe the rsv as well thinking about it

Yay!

but also has one of those threaded boss bits so I can stick a mirror on there too.

Booo!

I think the calipers on the 10r were ok. Its the MC that let it down more than anything. I put a brembo on mine and some good pads and that cured the fade issues.

Archived