Brake Pads Fo Iron Cast Discs

agressor

Hey Guys, I bought used iron cast oldschool Spiegler discs.

Im using TRW sintered brake pads (with stock rotors). Can I use sineterd pads with those discs?

Cheers Tom

No! sintered will destroy them.

Use organic pads only & you should always fit new pads anyhow when changing discs.

Im using organics on my track bike which is running Brembo cast iron discs. Now n/a so im looking after em.

Thanks Mate, Ive just found info about it. Only carbon pads yes?

I dont know anything about carbon pads compatibility but I do know any sintered pad will overheat the disc & could cause it to shatter.

Brembo had a lot of issues with discs shattering which made them stop production. They originally blamed the problem on people fitting sintered pads.

I have used EBC organic pads with no issues.

Be very careful what you fit & ask the experts as a simple incorrect pad choice could cause a serious failure!

I always used either SBS dual carbons or Performance friction 95 compound on my PFM discs.

The SBS dont like being cold though so if not on track i would consider something else.

Im sure the PF 07 compound is ok with cast iron but ive never used them.

I always used either SBS dual carbons or Performance friction 95 compound on my PFM discs.

The SBS dont like being cold though so if not on track i would consider something else.

Im sure the PF 07 compound is ok with cast iron but ive never used them.

Mr I was reading about those pads, people recommend them, but are they really so not good for street?

What do You think, Im thinking about geting them, but if not I will buy cheapest organic ones.

Hey Guys, I bought used iron cast oldschool Spiegler discs.

Im using TRW sintered brake pads (with stock rotors). Can I use sineterd pads with those discs?

Cheers Tom

Organic all the way. I used to work for an industrial brake company and we did lots of testing on this very subject, as we preferred iron rotors. They can also benefit you if you experience brake fade - organic pads are better insulators, and keep more heat in the disc, and where it can be dissipated into the airstream. Sintered pads absorb and transfer the heat into the caliper body, which affects the fluid etc etc. Just keep an eye out for glazed pads and if it happens, replace them. People think that roughening-up the glazing solves the problem but it doesn't - basically glazing is the bonding agent that holds all the fibres together rising to the surface under heat and pressure....so they are likely to break-up if you keep using them. Sorry for the sermon!

Archived