Starter Clutch Woes On My Cb900C

Mahatma

Hi.I'm including a picture which resembles (if it's not actually the same) my starter clutch.Also including a youtube clip of how it sounds at bottom of post.My problem is that when engine is cold,it sounds like the small cog that drives the big cog jumps out of phase and starter engine which in turn drives that small cog just spin.After letting go,it sounds like it clicks into place,and I when I press the starter again sometimes it turns the engine over 1 or two revolution before doing it again,or it just spins again without turning the engine over.The big wheel turns the engine over in a anti-clockwise revolution.I can turn it freely the other way around.

Now,the small cog between the starter and the big cog spins on that round bolt in the middle.I wonder would it be adviseable to fit a spring on that bolt to keep that small cog from letting loose?If indeed that is what is happening...I took the cover off this fall,but the cogs looked fine,and I'm loath to dissconnect that spark thing-a-ma-jig at the end in fear of throwing off the timing when reassembling.

Anyone have any suggestions here?It is seriously annoying if it hasn't been started for a few days:(

Thanks in advance:)

site1176.jpg

sounds like the sprag clutch isnt doing its job..time for a new one cos Im not sure if they are repairable...hold on tho cos Im probably wrong and someone else will come along and tell you whats is wrong for sure..but it does sound like the sprag to me...

Archived