Buying Chain & Sprockets

Boozybloke

The time is coming very soon that the zrx will need a new chain and sprockets. I've never had a bike long enough to need to do this before so I'm a little unsure how to go about it.

Firstly; renthal, the only way to go, or are there other brands worth trying?

Secondly; I presume that if you buy the set listed for your bike it will generally be the standard ratio?

Thirdly; best (cheapest) place to buy, any recommendations?

Unless you really really need to save a small amount of weight or want something with a name, then there's a lot to be said for going OE. Steel sprockets in general last a lot longer than blingy alloy ones.

I always use eBay (unless I'm desperate then I'll use a physical bike shop)

Other brands I've used apart from Renthal are 'Afam' and 'D.I.D' never had any issues with them.

If you know how many links the chain needs, you might be able to grab a bargain by getting the chain separate to the sprockets. I picked up a brand new chain for £20 because an online seller was getting rid of old stock. Not a brand named chain but was still good enough.

pretty sure Kayla can hook you up wit some deals via B&C - keep it PB and all that

Yep, she sorted a -1 front for my SRAD, and as you can't have too much of a good thing I will be speakin to her shortly for a +2 rear :)

Cheers guys, that hunters place has d.i.d gold xring sets for under 100 quid with free postage, which seems a good deal :icon_salut:

yep, thats what I thought too and is why I used em,free postage is a wee bit slower than paid for postage. I think it was 5 days I had to wait, but it wasnt that big a deal..

yep, thats what I thought too and is why I used em,free postage is a wee bit slower than paid for postage. I think it was 5 days I had to wait, but it wasnt that big a deal..

No rush for it really, am gonna have to get it fitted at the garage anyway cos I dont have the tools/stand/level ground to do it, and I need the cush drive looking at anyway.

No rush for it really, am gonna have to get it fitted at the garage anyway cos I dont have the tools/stand/level ground to do it, and I need the cush drive looking at anyway.

why not see if they will do you a deal seeing as you are having the fitting work done with them?.

why not see if they will do you a deal seeing as you are having the fitting work done with them?.

I will ask for a quote with and without parts and see what they say

Right, checked with the garage, and ghey be wanting £210 if they supplied the parts, £50 for the fitting on its own. That means £160 for their c&s set which seems about right. That set out of hunters would save me about £60, so worth doing, but looking at the rear sprocket it looks a little flimsy

http://huntersmotorcycles.co.uk/img/item/171/medium

What does everyone else think?

Although they're not cheapo tat, I've heard a couple of people had issues with DID chains, and if there's one thing that you don't want breaking, it's your chain and your front forks. No, hold on, if there's 2 things you don't want breaking, it's your chain, your front forks and your swingarm. Repeat until you've run out of motorbike...

Tsubaki are, in my humble opinion, the best chains going for a road bike, get yourself one of their chains on some renthal sprockets, from B&C, and order them through Kayla.

Yep, unless you want to send me a PM- I have an account with them and can knock 15% off their prices :)

Hmm, down to £140ish.. are they £40 worth of better than the ones above?

Edit; just seen lorenzos post, anybody else agree with that? Anyone disagree?

Although they're not cheapo tat, I've heard a couple of people had issues with DID chains

Well that's just great, I ordered a DID xring kit at lunch.

Lorenzo, are these people you know directly? Or word of mouth? Was it normal road riding that saw them fail or flat out multiple trackdays etc. ?

Hmm, down to £140ish.. are they £40 worth of better than the ones above?

Edit; just seen lorenzos post, anybody else agree with that? Anyone disagree?

I can only speak from my experience – I’ve had Gold O-ring D.I.D chains on one of my R1s and on my 675, never had any issues with either.

If I'm not mistaken, that cheeky little honey monster Greg has had 2 fail on his bikes on the road, I bought a trx off a mate which'd had its chain snap and eat its way through the side of the cases, this also had a did chain on it I think. The one on the trx was a bit old and worn at the time though, so it's not especially fair.

Archived