New Stem For Front End Upgrade?

crumpy

I want to upgrade the front end on the hornet race bike. I'm looking at something like cbr600f4 forks, with cartridge dampers and the opportunity to fit a decent set of four pots, but they are 43mm, rather than the 41mm hornet forks. So I guess that would either mean boring out the current yokes from 41mm to 43mm, or fitting the cbr yokes, with a fabricated stem to fit the hornet. Anyone know how much boring out or machining a new stem is likely to cost or can recommend someone near surrey/london area who could do the work?

Or perhaps I could look for a bike that has 51mm forks with cartridge dampers and mounts for decent callipers?

Any thoughts?

Apparently the hornet stems were welded into the bottom yoke. Which seems mad to me, but apparently it's so. Should have a look myself I guess.

That must be bullshit, it must just be pressed in.

Not necessarily- some Yams with steel bottom yokes had the stems welded in, others (same model and year) didn't. There's no rhyme or reason it seems. You could buy a (cheap) donor Hornet yoke to rob the stem from if you need to wreck the yoke to get the stem out. You can get the stem out yourself if you don't mind spending a bit of time cutting stuff up with a grinder :)

It might just be a straight swap. Bits between the cbr/vfr/firestorm all go straight over. A set of cbr600 F3 forks will go straight into your yokes, and have cartridge dampers. Or firestorm forks also go straight in, have cartridges, and can fit the fireblade 4 pot calipers to them.

we can make a new ally stem - might even have a bit of 7075 leftover. we can even make you some custom 7075 yokes if you like

Thank you or your thoughts people. Some interesting avenues to investigate which I had not considered. I'll update on progress.

porter_jamie, I'll keep you in mind if I need a stem, but if I had the money for a set of one-off yokes... I would probably be going for an upside down radial calliper set up, actually no, I'd probably just buy a better bike haha.

Crumpy, have a look here

http://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion

Looks like the hornet and f4 use the same top and bottom head bearings, as Fatman says you may be able to swap the front ends over in one.

Also the stem is welded in, we did a swap once and had the weld turned off in the lathe, that was to put in a 929 USD FE though

Archived