Stubborn Starting

riversbikes

Hey all, looking for some trans-Atlantic advice. I bought a second ER6 engine with the intent of building a proper race motor. Did a lot of work -- polished, balanced, and lightened crank, polished and peened rods, new stock pistons and rings, heads sent to RLR in the UK for a port and polish, valve job, slight compression bump, as well as mild Kent cams. I assembled the engine with all new gaskets, seals, bearings, etc. The only thing I didn't do myself was setup and degree the cams... left it to a proper motorcycle mechanic to do for me, based on the Kent specs... he had the proper motion pro timing and degreeing kit. After the last race, I dropped out the stock engine and put in the race engine for run in, etc, before winter....

I can't get the bloody thing to fire! I've checked fuel, fuel pump, fuel flow volume, and the injectors are working as supposed to. There is a spark. The ECUs are identical between the 08 stock engine and the 07 race engine. The crank timing trigger that runs off the opposite side of the stator/rotor is the same part number and is working as there is a spark. All the wiring,senders, etc. are hooked up as they should be. I am borrowing a compression checking tool tonight, but even with lower compression, there should at least be a "bang" if the air and fuel mix is even remotely close. It's not that it won't run or start -- there is not even a pop or bang or fart!

What I am thinking (unless the compression is miles off) is that the mechanic set up the cams wrong somehow. I suppose even with 1 tooth off, the valves wouldn't be hitting pistons, but it would prevent the engine from starting, right?

My next step after checking compression after work tonight is to swap the stock cams back in... only because the timing marks to set them up are idiot-proof and "locked" from the factory. I'm thinking of trying this for no other reason than to see if the darn thing runs, and prior to dragging the bike 3 hours away to the mechanic to re-degree properly... that's if I go to him again (if they are in fact set up wrong).

Any other ideas or suggestions??? I'm in Canada, so the local motorcycle hot-rod shop is several hours away!

Is the kill switch open ?

Even if the cams were off it would still bang when the unburnt fuel gets randomly ignitied. Have the cams touched the valves, that would give the syptoms.

Archived