Filler Cap

Devon

on my aprilia rs125 there is a filler cap on the transmission, and i have no idea how to get it out, i have used a coin but that hasnt worked, it looks like the previous owner has had a go at trying to get it off. any ideas 102_1087.jpg

I don't know these engines.

I think the one at the top is to see a timing mark for TDC on the flywheel and the one in the middle will allow you to hand crank the engine (to line up the marks). Use an impact driver but I think I'd heat the surrounding casing first .... if you can't do it take it to a garage or you'll f*ck the whole casing

If it's up to the standard finish on an Aprilia, then it'll be jammed up pretty tight (I've got a RS250)

Try a blast of a releasing fluid, something like 'Plus Gas' which you can pick up from a local auto factors.

Note: Something like '3 in 1' will be too think to get into the thread.

You really want to get a large flat-headed screwdriver, something that fits real' neat with the faces. If that doesn't budge, then go with the Chicken and get yourself an impact driver (most sets will have a selection of fitments, inc. a flat-head drive). Just make sure that you have it set correctly to 'release' the thread.

If that doesn't work, then you're looking at slightly more drastic steps...

Q. Is there enough material to cut a slightly deeper slot? Allowing a larger tool to be used, that'll give more purchase?

I'd probably resist tapping it and using an extractor, as that'll ruin the fitting... and you never know how easy a replacement will be to pick-up (assuming you'd want another Aprilia item).

G

Archived