Gearing Change. Minus One Or Plus Two?

Rick448

I want to change the gearing on my gsxr750y and was wondering whether to go minus one on the front or plus two on the rear. Any preference as to which is best? Cheers

I've already got a minus one front to fit but wondered if plus two rear was better. I might try both. I guess i should check gearing commander to see if I'll lose too much top end for track days.

I have heard that ideally you should not go too small on the gearbox sprocket as it will run the chain in too tight a circumference and potentially damage it.

Sounds plausible, but it might be a load of coddswallop.

I have heard that ideally you should not go too small on the gearbox sprocket as it will run the chain in too tight a circumference and potentially damage it.

Sounds plausible, but it might be a load of coddswallop.

Its more that as you reduce the number of teeth, the circle represented by the sprocket becomes less like a circle and more like a regular convex polygon.

• 2 weeks later...

Its more that as you reduce the number of teeth, the circle represented by the sprocket becomes less like a circle and more like a regular convex polygon.

Damn, I just patented the 1 tooth front sprocket for mega fast acceleration applications too.

Back to the drawing board.

• 2 weeks later...

Went from 17-39 to 16-42 and did a 520 conversion at the same time.

It's like someone fitted a supercharger while I wasn't looking. Flat out is now only about 135mph but by god it's 'punchy' out of corners.

Went from 17-39 to 16-42 and did a 520 conversion at the same time.

It's like someone fitted a supercharger while I wasn't looking. Flat out is now only about 135mph but by god it's 'punchy' out of corners.

What bike?

Did the -1,+2 thing to my old ZX8-R and that thing was hilarious! It surprised no end of bikes on A and B roads who mistook it for a rather portly outdated sports tourer. Traffic lights were a hoot too as there was just enough weight over the front to keep it down but not enough that it wouldn't sit up and boogie should the need arise...

You know what you must do…...

Archived